Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Free Member

Can someone with an Elite Video BVP-4+ Power Supply provide a manufacturer/model number? I've communicated with the Elite Video folks and while they're very courteous, they are also very swamped and my inquiries and request to dig a few units out of their boneyard aren't all that high on their priority list, understandably. They've told me I need a low ripple power supply (12 VDC, 500 mA) which translates to low noise), and while I could spec something out, I don't want to spend way more than is necessary. Any advice or buying recommendations much appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a manual for the BVP-4+, I'd love to get a copy. FWIW, my eBay purchase also included an Elite Video SD-11 video distribution amplifier with the BVP-4+. It has one audio/video input (video switchable between composite and S-video) and ten AV outputs, all composite. The front has switches for power; "Resolution Processor;" "Line Loss Compensate;" "Black Burst;" "Signal Controls" with toggles for On/Off, a toggle with "L+UF" and "LOS" settings, and what looks like a 1/8" RCA output jack labeled "Alert;" and a "Chroma Processor" toggle. The back also has eight DIP switches labeled "Configuration Switches" and an SDI input labeled "Super Link." Elite has no manual or other information. If anyone out there has any insights, I'd be most grateful.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Update: See next post!

I use a Radio Shack replacement AC adapter on my BVP4+
The original one was in bad shape when I got it.

Just for you, I crawled behind the rack, removed the adapter, and took a photo!

BVP4-plug.jpg

You need a 12V 500mA AC adapter (USA NTSC 120V 60Hz)
Radio Shack part # 273-1773

Take the BVP4+ with you, to make sure you get the correct plug head, the piece that goes into the unit. It should fit without being too tight or too loose. The blue-tipped one is perfect, although the colors may be different (I believe the last one I bought for a BVP4+ had a yellow head).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The previous post is actually incorrect. While using a cheap generic power supply may work, the Elite Video BVP4 is made for an expects a special "low ripple" model of power supply with very specific specs. Elite Video did not have their own branded power supply, but rather used a Panasonic/Matsushita model AC adapter intended for telephone accessories (answering machines, cordless phones).

Specifically, the Panasonic KX-A11A (white), although the Panasonic KX-A11 (black) may also work.

The primary difference between the right power supply and the wrong power supply is power noise that presents itself on-screen as image noise. I tried the aforementioned Radio Shack power plug, and it resulted in a rotating static noise bar that traveled vertically across the screen, from bottom to top. It wasn't a huge obvious noise bar, like bad tracking from a VHS tape in a VCR, but a faint repetitive noise that is easily seen when viewing a test pattern, or even just the JVC S-VHS VCR menu.

This is the exact text from the back of a black KX-A11 power supply:
Quote:
Panasonic
MODEL NO. KX-A11
AC ADAPTER
Plug-In Power supply for
Use with Telephone Device
INPUT: 120V~60Hz 12W 0.1A
OUTPUT: 12V = 500mA
CAUTION
INDOOR USE ONLY
UL LISTED 17J2 POWER SUPPLY
(SA) (R)
LR87960
CLASS 2
(-) - o) - (+)
Matsushita Electric
Made In China
The white KX-A11A has less markings, and a few things are written slightly different:
Quote:
Panasonic
MODEL NO. KX-A11A
AC ADAPTER
Plug-In Power Supply for
Use with Telephone Device
INPUT: AC~120V 60Hz 12W 0.1A
OUTPUT: DC 12V 500mA
CAUTION
INDOOR USE ONLY
UL LISTED 17J2 POWER SUPPLY
(-) - o) - (+)
Matsushita Electric
Made In China
The black version has the CSA logo "(SA)", Canadian Standards Association. The white version only has UL certification.

Most 12V 500mA power supplies are positive polarity, or "(o". This one is negative polarity, or "o)".
The (-) - o) - (+) is open to the negative.
It's easy to miss that one, if you're not familiar with electrical adapters. The wrong polarity will leave you with a smoldering BVP-4 shaped paperweight.

The black versions appear to be far easier to acquire on eBay, and I'm currently testing two units. So far, everything looks fine. I'll come back and update this post if/when they're confirmed to be a perfect replacement. Testing hardware for purity isn't a quick or easy process. Someday I'll write a long guide series describing the process of eliminating variables and testing video and/or audio gear.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This post is reserved for attaching some photos.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I, too, used the Radio Shack adapter shown earlier. Junk. But contrary to the an earlier reply, it's not "cheap". It's just junk.

The Panasonic KX-A11 found on the 'net is from questionable sources. eBay never properly describes what they're selling, and most units are used -- how "used", they don't say. The Panasonic KX-A11 genuine replacement part is still sold at the Panasonic support site. Cost is about 3 times the prices seen on eBay, but at least there's no question about what you're getting or how genuine it is.
http://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr...ListChoice.asp, and enter "KX-A11" in the left-hand parts list.
11-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I ended up buying several KX-A11 and KX-A11A adapters from eBay, just in case.
Searched eBay -- http://www.ebay.com -- for "KX-A11 and it will bring up all auctions for both versions.

Each of them works fine.

It's good to see the official Panasonic support site has some available, if needed. Thanks for the tip.
At the time, Panasonic was sold out.
In fact, at this very minute, the link to the above Panasonic support site is dead ("Service Unavailable", meaning a server error. Uh-oh!)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Hmm, that behavior of their website is a bit odd. I brought that item up in "My Cart" (but didn't buy it) just before I posted the info earlier. But, then, you go to Amazon and see something listed one day ("only 2 left in stock") and three days later they're sold out.

I'm sure most of the eBay items are genuine. If not, PayPal gets on their case. I just don't need the hassle.
07-18-2014, 11:42 PM
Free Member

Can someone verify the voltage on their kx-a11a with a voltmeter? I found a clean one on ebay, and the seller is saying that its fully functional with a "no load voltage of 19.93" does that sound right?

Thank you.
07-19-2014, 03:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father-of-Ash View Post
Can someone verify the voltage on their kx-a11a with a voltmeter? I found a clean one on ebay, and the seller is saying that its fully functional with a "no load voltage of 19.93" does that sound right? Thank you.
I have no idea what the seller is saying.

I can use the video hardware, but when it comes to the components inside, I'm lost. Without a service manual, I'd probably be lost for any kind of maintenance.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Free Member

He's just saying a no-load voltage of 19.93v, basically with it unplugged and nothing pulling power from it, it shows that voltage. I believe that's the only way to test it anyhow. I was hoping for anyone that can check voltage on there own kx-a11a and see what they come up with?

Thanks again.
07-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Free Member

I have one, no load voltage is 16.61v DC. However, this isn't really indicative of anything important. No load voltage could be 24v, and only 2v under load if the load is too high, or the adapter is failing. The only way to test it for certain is to put a 5w load on it and see if the voltage is still 12v (+/-5%).

I'm reasonably certain it's fine in any case. If it's not, just get a refund through ebay.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.3 KB, 80 downloads)
The following users thank toastysoul for this useful post: Father-of-Ash (07-19-2014)
07-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Free Member

Great, Thank you very much for the input =)