Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Free Member

I have a Samsung SV5000W world-class VCR and a Sony RMT-D229A DVD recorder, and I am pleased with this setup overall. However, I run into a strange problem. I'd like to know if anyone else can diagnose the issue.

When the VCR is "fresh", the standard "blue screen" appears and everything is dandy. I have a quality anti-copyguard connected between the VCR and the DVD recorder.

After a while, the VCR seems to flake out and its blue screen doesn't appear (I have my suspicions at this moment that once the anti-copyguard activates with its splash screen, that it starts this flaking out; I haven't had time to experiment further with this).

In this flaky state, NTSC tapes take over the video signal in THROUGH output mode, so it is possible to use the unit like this. However, it seems that foreign tapes use a different display method using the NTSC out function, and it follows suit with the "blue screen" problem. I can't change settings in the configuration menus because of a lack of an on-screen interactive display, but I can see that the VCR is responding due to reports on the LED display.

My DVD recorder has a anti-static (no signal) filter, so a grey screen is presented at all times during this flaky state (except for native NTSC tape playback with the THROUGH output option) during this flaky state. I get audio regardless. I have a feeling that if I could disable this filter, that things could be rectified.

The unit recovers if I leave it turned off for a significant amount of time. But, it always reverts to this state after some usage. If I start tape play early enough in the game, it continues to work for the duration of the tape play.

Any thoughts? TIA.

-- merged --

Moderator, please consider moving this to the "Capture, Record, Transfer" forum. I didn't notice this one. Thank you.

--
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Free Member

I seem to have figured out the problem with this VCR. If I wiggle the power cord around near the end where it connects to the VCR, I can get the the blue screen to show itself, and even resolve the "sparkles" I get on foreign tapes. So, it seems to be a soldiering / loose component problem in the power supply.

Luckily, I do know someone who should be able to fix this.

--
04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I was reading this, so don't think you were ignored or writing to yourself.

I've run into the dropouts/comets/sparkles issues on my own 5000W in the past. The most important thing to realize with this deck is that it's not manufactured by Samsung. In fact, it's a Panasonic AG-W3 (or AG-W2, I forget) that's been rebadged by Samsung. Aiwa had some rebadge models, too. On the Panasonic AG-1980P S-VHS VCRs, dropouts are due to a specific pair of symptoms: (1) invalid capacitor values, or (2) inconsistencies and incompatibilities between the heads and the tape. The tapes are partially to blame in that last scenario, generally being poor grade aged tapes, possibly even nth generation copies (aka copies of copies). But capacitors should be checked, and replaced if out of specs.

Now I mention this because I've long thought the AG-W3/SV-5000W behave a lot like the AG-1980s.

Cheap anti-copy devices don't help, either. Most of them just make video more erratic, as opposed to truly cleaning them like TBCs will.
More on TBCs here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

When it's an important VCR like this, you'd honestly do best to send it to a specialty VCR service. For example, mailing it (or hand delivering it) to Jots Electronics in Arlington, Texas, which is where all gear used by The Digital FAQ is serviced/repaired.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Alright, I've read that people are having a lot of problems with this device, and I've come up with a solution that works every time for me.

The secret is to have a decent video stabilizer. Before, I had it connected directly to my DVD recorder, or with a Grex device as an intermediary (I suppose this isn't such a quality device, anyhow). I suppose that such connections aren't what the Samsung VCR is looking for.

The (generic) video stabilizer I used was obtained off of Amazon. Here is the URL.

Keep in mind that this device can be powered both off of a 9V battery and a 9V AC adapter. I suggest buying an AC adapter for it, as the battery can get worn out fast.

With this device, I no longer get any sparkles or video dropouts with the Samsung VCR, as other people have reported that I have even experienced myself. The blue screen appears the first time, every time, and stays that way. Foreign tapes play perfectly and stay that way through the NTSC out function.

So, I assume the deal with this VCR is that it needs to be connected to a compliant, consistently powered NTSC source that is offered with video stabilizers like this one.

Never mind all of that I said above with the power cord. I imagine the electronic logic is associated somehow with having a good NTSC source at the output end.

--
05-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

It's amazing that the old 9V filter worked. That thing was designed in the 80s or 90s, and was commonplace back in the day for hobby collectors. It usually fails when used between a VCR and a digital capture/recording device. It's likely a combination of that filter, plus a line input filter on the DVD recorder, which causes a net result of being problem free transfers.

Just be sure to carefully look at the recorded video for brightening and dimming, be it gradual or constant back-and-forth.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.