Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
About This Download

This is being archived here for those that need it. Please note that neither myself nor other admins/mods have any information beyond what is posted here.

DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR HELP!

This file is archived in a "RAR" file. If you don't know what this is, then read this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/comp...rar-files.html.
NOTE: You don't burn this RAR file to a disc, you unRAR it, and read and follow the instructions below!

Instructions

These are the instructions originally provided with the file:

Quote:
CREATE VERSION UP DISC.
Copy the attached RAR file RDRupdate.zip to your computer and Unzip.
Copy all of the unzipped data files to a CD-R disc.
ChkFlg.txt
FNT_DATA.BIN
ROM_DATA.CM1
ROM_DATA.CM2
Ver.bin

[VERSION UP INFORMATION]
From RDR-GX7 : Ver1.10 to Ver1.30

[VERSION UP PROCEDURE AT THE SERVICE]
1. If the unit is in the locked condition of Disc can not eject, press the lever on the right side of DRIVE UNIT, the tray opens and remove the disc. (Refer to the RDR-GX7 S/M, page 5)
2. Reset by removing and reinserting the AC plug.
3. Playback a DVD (any working DVD disc) to initialize the systems data for repair, then remove the disc from the unit.
4. Place the version up CD on the disc tray, then press PLAY button.
5. After loading the disc, select YES of version up which is displayed on the monitor,
then press ENTER button.
6. The version upgrade starts automatically.
7. After upgrade is finished, the tray opens automatically.
8. Remove the upgrade disc from the tray.
9. With the TRAY open, reset by removing and inserting the AC plug.

LCD simply will show:
1 Erase 0%
1 Extract 20%
1 Write 30%
1 Verify 40%
2 Erace 50%
2 Extract 70%
2 Write 80%
3 Erace 100%
3 Write 130%
3 Verify 140%
Finish!
Each phase 1,2 and 3 takes about 3 minutes. No more than 10 minutes total.
When update is complete. Unplug the unit from the AC Mains then re-plug. This resets the unit.

Also to see what version of firmware you have already you can do this:
"This is the diagnostics to locate the faulty position. The diagnostics can be executed using the remote commander (Remote Control Mode 1) and a monitor.

To execute the diagnostics mode, connect the VIDEO OUT (L2 OUT) connector to a monitor. While pressing INPUT SELECT, REC MODE and STOP on the main unit, connect the AC power cord to the power outlet to start the diagnostics.

Keep pressing INPUT SELECT, REC MODE and STOP on the main unit (about 10 seconds) until the diagnostics screen appears on monitor display.

Either "OK" of "NG" appears on the monitor screen while the diagnostics is in progress. You can judge the respective device or its peripheral from the message of either "OK" or "NG" on the monitor screen.

When an abnormality is detected, the diagnostics is stopped at that moment and you can select to proceed the diagnostics or to stop it. Use the remote commander (DVD1) keys or the keys on the front
panel of the main unit to operate the diagnostics".

If the MAIN MENU appears before the diagnostics start, stop pressing the buttons. Select TEST MODE from the MAIN MENU. The only item in the TEST MODE menu is Version No. MRK1000U SH Version (1.10), ITcom Version (0227170e), ITcom Revision (00), Drive Version (3.0e)

Further Notes

As read at a VH post:
Quote:
Version 1.30 and is only for USA units - this fw supposedly only corrects a DISK EJECT problem with "self burned" DVDs. If you are handy with firmware you might be able to hack some new media codes / speeds in there too.
This file was originally found at http://groups.google.com/group/techassist?pli=1. Due to the unknown nature of freebie hosts -- like the now-dead Geocities, Google docs, etc -- we've archived a number of firmware files so they don't get lost when the free site goes down. (Sites go down when firmware hackers lose interest, or when the free site stops being free.) NOTE: I'm not a firmware hacker anymore, and I can't help you. I just help archive files.

Need / Want a New Recorder?

Honestly, the Sony RDR-GX7 was an overall pretty crappy DVD recorder. It had grainy quality, and was just not very good. In many cases, it would see "copy protection" where none existed, and refuse to convert VHS tapes to DVD. You can get much better DVD recorders. Even the newest Sony RDR-GX257 is better. For a complete list of suggested DVD recorders, and information on where to buy them, see http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm

Use the Best DVD-R / DVD-RW Only!

Remember to only use the best discs in this recorder! Not some "name brand" junk from the store (Memorex, Imation, HP, Maxell, etc), but a truly good disc. For a complete list of what a "good disc" is, see http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm -- Most DVD recorder problems are related to using inferior media. Using a good disc will prevent many issues.

Thanks?!

If you found this download helpful or useful, click the THANKS button, or leave a quick reply. Hope this has helped you!

How / Where to Download the Files?
You'll find the attached file downloads at the bottom of this top post. Files are provided for the convenience of our members. To get download access, simply join the forum as either a Free Member or Premium Member. We don't send spam or sell your email addresses. If you're not sure what to do with .zip or .rar files, see this help post.

Attached Files
File Type: rar Sony-DVD-Recorder-Firmware-RDR-GX7-v130-USA.rar (7.76 MB, 453 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Last edited by lordsmurf; 12-26-2009 at 04:44 PM.
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: chrysler (12-28-2010), neptune431@yahoo.com (11-12-2010), smurfette (02-22-2015)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Free Member

I have upgraded rdr-gx7 with your firmware...
All is ok till "2 Write 80%"...
After this stage I found verify 90% and no more...!
Dvd auto opened with this message: Fnt sig F ng................................................ .....
I made all with your procedure and now nothing works...
What's your name please?
11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Welcome to the site.

Please refer back to the very beginning of the first post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This is being archived here for those that need it. Please note that neither myself nor other admins/mods have any information beyond what is posted here. DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR HELP!
It may be something as simple as using an inferior quality disc to update the firmware. In some cases, retrying an update/upgrade will overwrite the bad attempt. In other cases, the machine is ruined. I don't know the RDR-GX7 well enough to instruct you on which scenario it may be -- or if it's even related to using a cheap CD/DVD for the upgrade process.

Your IP address comes up as Italy, too. Refer back to the first post's notes:

Quote:
Version 1.30 and is only for USA units
We archive firmware files to help others, but it does not come with any guarantees or warranties. These are the writings of other hobbyists that have lost interest. Some gave us the files (requested a "forever" mirror), some were just obvious temporary sites that would have been lost (Geocities, Tripod, etc).

The attached service manual may have some more suggestions on how to fix your errors.

Best of luck to you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder Service Manual.pdf (22.31 MB, 62 downloads)

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: smurfette (02-22-2015)
11-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Free Member

Thank you.
03-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Free Member

Anybody have Europe version of Firmware for this unit?
07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolypop000 View Post
Anybody have Europe version of Firmware for this unit?
Everything we have is already archived here.
But if you do come across another firmware not post at this site, then please come back here and post it.

Thanks!

07-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Free Member

I downloaded the firmware update and installed it in the DVD recorder. It updated OK, but it still doesn't like the DVD-R disks I had. After trying quite a few DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW I am about to give up on this recorder. Every once in a while it will work OK, but not very often. It is my guess that only good quality, slow recording (<= 10X) will work in this recorder.
Thank you for your effort.