Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Free Member

Hi! I have recently purchased the Panasonic NV HS960 (used) and I think that there is a playback problem.

I have connected it to the tv using all the given options (composite, s-video, coaxial, scart). I have also connected it to the pc (composite, s-video). The problem is exactly the same on tv and pc, and is visible in the picture below ( i have intetionally covered the features of the lady and the channel logo because it is taken from a music video):

This horizontal line appears randomly on different positions on screen every 10 or more seconds while playing back the tape.

I have to tell you that this tape has already been used with another vcr and this problem didn't show up.

So I was if anyone of you has got an explanation to this.

I forgot to mentioned that I have cleaned the basic parts of the vcr when i received it.

I desperately need some help because this vcr in general works fine with a great tbc and dnr function and i don't want to throw it away just like that.

Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2014-12-20-23h45m18s185.png (410.1 KB, 47 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Free Member

This looks like it is the upper drum. Video head.

Paul
12-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Free Member

First of all thank you for your reply. So are you suggesting that this device is useless and that I should get rid of it?

Couldnt it be the capacitors as I have read in another thread?
12-27-2014, 06:22 AM
Free Member

I have just re-read your original post and I notice you say that this line occurs in different positions in the picture. It is not the upper drum if this is the case. If the line was always in the same place then it is likely a damaged head.

Have you tried recording in both LP and SP? Did the line occur on it's own recordings?

Paul
The following users thank williamsunique for this useful post: cybergtooth (12-27-2014)
12-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Free Member

Thanks again for your time. I wouldnt know if this happened with its own recordings because i have just bought it. I guess i'll have to try recording something. This white line appears for one second like a flash of light. The sad thing is that i think its getting worse day by day. Using a denoise filter of pinnacle studio software helped covering some of these flashes but as you may know it causes interlacing artifacts on screen that spoil the final result of digital conversion. I have watched videos of worn heads on yt but nothing looks likes the problem i am describing.

Kostas
12-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm really busy for another week or two, until I finally return full-time to the site, but I feel the need to quickly respond to something...

Never just throw away a good VCR like this!

Most likely, it can be repaired. And yes, when it comes the late 1990s to early 2000s S-VHS VCRs from Panasonic, it is very likely a capacitor failure. You simply need to replace them. (I say this almost in jest, as it's not really a "simple" fix unless you're handy at a soldering gun/pen. I'm terrible at it, so I pay others for this service.)

Having *just* bought it, the previous owner probably had issues as well (regardless of claims). So hopefully it did not cost you much. How much did you pay? In bad-cap condition, it's worth about $80 at most (50 quid UK).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cybergtooth (12-27-2014)
12-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Free Member

Thank you for your reply. I paid 87 euros. It was a bid and the other bidders had set their automatic bids at an incredibly high level that really challenged me and i chased this device till the last moment. I sure dont want to throw it away. Im really satisfied with its tbc and dnr function (although a stand alone tbc is required to handle some of my bad recordings). But it seeems that this vcr will not give me the digital archive i had in mind. Video heads for this unit are not sold anywhere . If its the caps then i'm willing to give it a try. But should i post a video so that you"ll be able to diagnose?
12-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Yes, post a sample.

Be sure to follow site policies -- Site Staff only download from Dropbox.
You can also "attach" a 32mb max clip to a post. And honestly, that's all we need. A compressed MPEG is fine, not a big AVI.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cybergtooth (12-27-2014)
12-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Free Member

Thanks again. I will post a sample tomorrow as soon as i go home.

-- merged --

Hi again! I'm attaching a video sample showing the problem we were discussing about:

Here's the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qamps0e62...ample.mpg?dl=0

I'd be grateful if you gave some expert advice how to deal with it.

Thank you in advance

Kostas

Attached Files
File Type: mpg video sample.mpg (25.07 MB, 15 downloads)
12-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Free Member

this is a very good deck and worth fixing, even if it is the head it can be scavenged from another deck.

not sure how you cleaned it but give the head and tape path a good manual cleaning with chamois and 91% alcohol.
make sure the drum is very clean.
if the deck played a bad tape that was shedding oxide material it can be very tough to clean it all out.
i recently had one so bad even alcohol wouldnt get the black off the drum, i used a little carburetor cleaner on the chamois and it worked

also remove any automatic head cleaner if there is one
these are rubbish and do nothing and when they get old can clog and/or damage the head
they rub the head every single time you insert a tape - i remove them from any decks i get
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: cybergtooth (12-30-2014)
12-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much. Should I remove the whole auto head cleaning mechanism or just the small foam roller? So my video is indicating a head problem I guess. I'll try cleaning it once more following your useful tips and see if there is any difference.
12-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Free Member

remove the whole arm
ive seem them so bad the foam was disintegrating, not a good thing to have touching your video head.

it is best just to do a manual cleaning every so often
dont use cleaning tapes either
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: cybergtooth (01-01-2015)
12-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Free Member

Attach a picture of the main board . Just lift the metallic cover and take a pic. If it is what I guess I will need more detailed pics. See any corosion/ rust on metallic shields?
Also remove the whole arm like you were told and do a good cleaning with chamois pads and 95-100% alcohol. Let is soak a little bit and than clean it. Be carefull and no rubbing.
The video it to compressed, so I can not really tell.
What colors do you see when you switch just to signal test?
The following users thank videonut for this useful post: cybergtooth (01-01-2015)
01-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Free Member

Thank you all for your interest and happy new year.

Will this picture do?

SAM_0562 1.jpg

-- merged --

Should I also remove this part when cleaning the VCR?

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

01-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Free Member

Try it with and without. Also try to reposition it so it isn't in the same spot. For want of a better description it is an earthing brush and it's purpose is to deal with any static. The signal from the heads is miniscule and it requires high amplification. Any residue static / interference is also likely to be amplified by the high gain amplification stage. Earlier models where this brush was located on the bottom of the head assembly were more prone to pick up interference. The brush can also be the cause of an unwanted whine.
I should also add clean the contact areas of the brush and drum.

Last edited by williamsunique; 01-01-2015 at 01:59 PM.
The following users thank williamsunique for this useful post: cybergtooth (01-02-2015)
01-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Free Member

Happy New year to everybody.
Do not remove that part. That is for grounding/ electrostatic disharge. If you removed that one or someone removed it before you and is not in place you will get some static lines that come and go. Sometimes needs a very little bit of lubricant, usually if it makes a high pitched noise.
Take a Q-tip and clean those areas /channels on the upper drum, NOT THE VIDEO HEADS.
For the video and audio heads on the drum get some chamois pads and dip them in alcohol 95-100%. Hold them steady against the drum (do not apply too much pressure) and move the drum with the other hand one way and then the opposite way. Hold them in such a way so nothing gets caught on those heads. Sometimes some debris and gunk like material gets built on those heads and it does not come off easy. I read that some people use lint free cloth dipped in alcohol. Do not attempt to go up and down on those heads because you will damage them. I soak them well in alcohol, though some do not advise to do that....... long story. But as an ultimate resort it also disolves the gunk stuck on those heads too. You also can look at the heads with a microscope and if you see the gunk, try to remove it carefully. The fact is that if the heads are getting dirty easy, they are probably worn already. I had a couple of times encountered this problem and it was only a stubborn dirty head.
Can also be a capacitor problem. If you see any SMD caps (small, metallic, round shaped), have them changed. They usually cause problems after so many years. Of course it can be some other issue, but that needs a deep analysis and it is time consuming.

Good luck and be safe.
The following users thank videonut for this useful post: cybergtooth (01-02-2015)
01-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Free Member

Thank you for all this useful information. I have already removed the automatic head cleaner and intent to give the vcr a very good cleaning. I haven't removed the part for the static. My intention was to take it out and clean it. I've seen some related video on yt. I hope that my cleaning will make some difference otherwise I'm gonna try to find a used upper drum (if there is one available) and give this device to a workshop to have it repaired. Still a long way to go.
01-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

In the future:
- Attach images to the forum.
- Attach videos to the forum if they're small (under 32mb).

I've fixed it for you.

We use 91% alcohol (anything over 70% is fine) and "sensor swabs" made for DSLR camera sensor. Those really work well for clean heads.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...IQNAOIQTYTVTGP

If you want something with more roughness (due to gunk being stuck hard), then either chamois or foam work fine.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ULA5LHINXPHHKZ

That all said, I'm not really seeing an issue with the video sample. It's just noisy VHS. The VCR seems excellent.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cybergtooth (01-05-2015)
01-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Free Member

It may sound dumb but I have no idea how to attach the image to the forum!
01-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...ly-upload.html

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: cybergtooth (01-05-2015)