Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-18-2022, 01:22 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I bought a VCR on eBay but I found out that a small part was broken and moving inside it. I still tried to play VHS tapes but they either get damage or eaten.

The seller pretends that it broke during shipping. I would like to know :

1. What is this part and it's function ? (and is my issue due to this part lacking ?)

2. Can this part really break during shipping or is it nearly impossible ? (firmly attached...)

Thank you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 521646541.jpg (27.6 KB, 19 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-18-2022, 01:58 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

As these machines age even turning them upside down can have funny consequences. Normally a camcorder issue, but we've had things simply 'fall off' in transit despite every best intention to pack them appropriately.

We even occasionally have spontaneous bits fall off in use, it can happen with old equipment.

It looks like some sort of tension roller, could well just need clipping back in judging by the photograph.

What machine is it? That may provide a hint? It may well be a trivial matter.
03-18-2022, 02:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
As these machines age even turning them upside down can have funny consequences. Normally a camcorder issue, but we've had things simply 'fall off' in transit despite every best intention to pack them appropriately.

We even occasionally have spontaneous bits fall off in use, it can happen with old equipment.

It looks like some sort of tension roller, could well just need clipping back in judging by the photograph.

What machine is it? That may provide a hint? It may well be a trivial matter.
It's a Panasonic NV-HS900.
And by the way I didn't mentioned that all cassettes that I insert are ejected after making a strange "rolling" sound and the tape is damaged.
03-19-2022, 03:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krolimo View Post
Hi,
I bought a VCR on eBay but I found out that a small part was broken and moving inside it. I still tried to play VHS tapes but they either get damage or eaten.
Return it, refund.

Quote:
The seller pretends that it broke during shipping. I would like to know :
eBay is full of liars and idiots. Most sellers probably couldn't set the VCR clock, much less know how it should function properly. To those people, any image quality = good, tested, working. Which is ridiculous.

Quote:
1. What is this part and it's function ? (and is my issue due to this part lacking ?)
Photo is fuzzy, but probably part of the ingest. Hence why eating tapes, not drawing in correctly. This cannot be fixed, it's broken. The deck either (1) needs new part, (2) is now a for-parts deck to be scavenged.

Quote:
2. Can this part really break during shipping or is it nearly impossible ? (firmly attached...)
No. Only if the seller packaged it horribly, which is sadly common. Not enough big bubble wrap, not enough space inside the box. Just cram it into something, ship it, expect post/shipper to be gentle and careful ().

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
Not that piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krolimo View Post
It's a Panasonic NV-HS900.
And by the way I didn't mentioned that all cassettes that I insert are ejected after making a strange "rolling" sound and the tape is damaged.
"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!" --- "Stop doing that!"

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-19-2022, 04:33 PM
Free Member

Thank you.
I'll try to return it. I hope it'll go well, it's the first time I return something on eBay.

And btw there wasn't bubble wrap but mostly pieces of newspaper and cardboard.

Here are some more pics and a vid of the broken part.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_221844.jpg (67.3 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_221854.jpg (27.6 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_221905.jpg (36.3 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_221922.jpg (37.8 KB, 12 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mkv VID_20220319_222008.mkv (25.06 MB, 8 downloads)
03-19-2022, 04:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

You dealt with a typical idiot seller. That is not proper shipping, and neither eBay nor the shipper will consider that packing job adequate. And honestly, I'd be surprised if it broke in transit, and wasn't broken before it shipped. Because far too many sellers lie, or are incompetent. Sometimes you read how it was "tested", but then something obvious like the electric cord prongs being warped (aka, not possible to plug in and test) reveals the lie.

It arrived damaged, and is defective. Those keywords matter.

Sure, you can try to fix it. But do you want to use the VCR, or did you pay to repair the VCR? Partial refund is an option, which allows you to DIY/self-repair, or help to repair, but it's a gamble. It may never work. It may not have worked in a decade. You just do not know. Meanwhile, the eBay clock is ticking.

If this was a JVC, I'd suggest at least looking at the service manual.
But for a Panasonic? No.

Buy a PAL deck from a reputable seller like VCRshop.nl

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Krolimo (03-20-2022)
03-20-2022, 03:34 AM
Free Member

Looks like it's this part (named P5 stopper). Seems the "clip/hook" part that snaps it in is broke? Would be rather odd for that to break during shipping, not sure what would put stress on that specifically. Maybe more likely that it was already cracked/broken before it was sent and just came loose either when shipping or when putting a tape in? (And the seller hadn't bothered to test it properly)

The mechanism is pretty well documented, and found in a bunch of cheaper standard VHS decks so if worst comes to worst and returns fail it should be possible to at least swap the part or mech using a donor deck or ordering a new old stock part from e.g the linked site.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-20-2022)
03-20-2022, 04:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Looks like it's this part (named P5 stopper). Seems the "clip/hook" part that snaps it in is broke? Would be rather odd for that to break during shipping, not sure what would put stress on that specifically. Maybe more likely that it was already cracked/broken before it was sent and just came loose either when shipping or when putting a tape in? (And the seller hadn't bothered to test it properly)

The mechanism is pretty well documented, and found in a bunch of cheaper standard VHS decks so if worst comes to worst and returns fail it should be possible to at least swap the part or mech using a donor deck or ordering a new old stock part from e.g the linked site.
You're a wealth of PAL deck knowledge.

03-20-2022, 10:00 AM
Free Member

"Plastic" parts do age over time, may become brittle depending on the VCR's storage and operating conditions. The part could break at the next attempt to load a tape.

Since it was ebay you should be able to get a refund, or negotiate a settlement with the seller. However, if this part failed due to age the condition of the rest of the system may be suspect as well.
03-20-2022, 02:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post

Thanks for these informations.

You're right I checked and the part is actually broken, I attached better pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
"Plastic" parts do age over time, may become brittle depending on the VCR's storage and operating conditions. The part could break at the next attempt to load a tape.

Since it was ebay you should be able to get a refund, or negotiate a settlement with the seller. However, if this part failed due to age the condition of the rest of the system may be suspect as well.

Yes and btw the part was already broken before I even open the package (I heard it moving inside).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220320_194729.jpg (57.3 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220320_194900.jpg (64.0 KB, 5 downloads)