Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-24-2020, 01:18 AM
Free Member

Hello everybody. Recently, I had came across a IN1402 video scaler. Sure, it outputs to different resolutions and all but even at the base VHS resolution, my Panasonic AG-1970 S-VHS player looks great when passed through the scaler....... BUTTTTTTT...... the scaler only has VGA out. I was able to test the scaler out on an old monitor that is still around here. It alloked great once I started to mess with the filters. It took the VHS noise away and I really liked the outcome.
My problem is, how can I take the video from the IN1402 and capture it? I even tried a little VGA to HDMI box to go back into my HDMI caputre device and as soon as I did that the video wouldn't stay steady. It was as if things got completely glitchy and out of shape. I took the HDMI and connected it to my TV and it showed the same as it did when I had it hooked to the capture device. That little cheapy VGA to HDMI is a gimmicky box I guess, lol.
What other options do I have for getting the vga video captured into a Windows 10 PC?

Thank you to anybody who can answer this one.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-24-2020, 02:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
This isn't what the device is designed for. I also heavily disagree with the assertion that this "looks great", as a scaler by nature will have to mess with the interlace.

HDMI has the same issues. And you're multiplying it now, scaler x HDMI.

This is a dead end. Stop now. You're wasting time and funds.

VHS transfer has a recipe: VCR > TBC > SD capture card. Use it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Free Member

Unless your device can output a pure time based lossless digital AVI 4:2:2 480i or 576i at least 8bit and PCM audio via USB, SDI or firewire (very rare) any other form of signal conversion is destructive such as Component, Composite, HDMI, VGA, DVI, iLink(DV)...etc

Do yourself a favor and put that thing in the dumpster where it belongs, its purpose is no longer exists.
09-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDre View Post
Hello everybody. Recently, I had came across a IN1402 video scaler. Sure, it outputs to different resolutions and all but even at the base VHS resolution, my Panasonic AG-1970 S-VHS player looks great when passed through the scaler....... BUTTTTTTT...... the scaler only has VGA out. I was able to test the scaler out on an old monitor that is still around here. It alloked great once I started to mess with the filters. It took the VHS noise away and I really liked the outcome.
My problem is, how can I take the video from the IN1402 and capture it? I even tried a little VGA to HDMI box to go back into my HDMI caputre device and as soon as I did that the video wouldn't stay steady. It was as if things got completely glitchy and out of shape. I took the HDMI and connected it to my TV and it showed the same as it did when I had it hooked to the capture device. That little cheapy VGA to HDMI is a gimmicky box I guess, lol.
What other options do I have for getting the vga video captured into a Windows 10 PC?

Thank you to anybody who can answer this one.

Hi maybe something like this can work VGA to Component cable if you want to test and experiment

but then you need to have Component input on the capture card

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Com.../dp/B001VRQIIY

i have a old scaler to DVDO iScan Duo and it have instead VGA input and HDMI output
09-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Free Member

You cannot convert VGA to component or vise versa with just a cable, You would need a signal processor, that cable is for a special purpose and Chinese companies mislead people into thinking otherwise so they can make a buck, the same goes for composite to HDMI cables, USB to firewire cables ...etc

Anyway, this approach of putting multiple devices in the chain with multiple signal conversions always ends up disastrous, There is no need to go down that rabbit hole.
09-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
You cannot convert VGA to component or vise versa with just a cable, You would need a signal processor, that cable is for a special purpose and Chinese companies mislead people into thinking otherwise so they can make a buck, the same goes for composite to HDMI cables, USB to firewire cables ...etc

Anyway, this approach of putting multiple devices in the chain with multiple signal conversions always ends up disastrous, There is no need to go down that rabbit hole.
ok i was not sure about that cable i know i have use one my self but i do not remember to what exactly

i have even a VGA to Euro Scart cable i have done my self it was to connect old graphics card to old crt tv and i did work
09-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Again, VHS has a recipe.

Forget video for a second...
Pretend you want to make a chocolate cake.
This video scaler device is likely stating that you have a can of tuna, and a salt shaker. Then you ask: "Will that work?"
That would be an empathic "No!", with a deserved accompanying eye roll.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

https://media.extron.com/public/down...an1204RevA.pdf

Extron makes good equipment, but this box isn't designed for video capture and archiving. Its an AV integrator product to upscale composite and S-video sources and allow them to be viewed in a conference room or classroom environment.
09-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdd View Post
ok i was not sure about that cable i know i have use one my self but i do not remember to what exactly

i have even a VGA to Euro Scart cable i have done my self it was to connect old graphics card to old crt tv and i did work
That can work because Scart cables can carry RGB a signal similar to the VGA cable, which can work with multisync CRT monitors.
09-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
That can work because Scart cables can carry RGB a signal similar to the VGA cable, which can work with multisync CRT monitors.
ok i think i did use a windows tool called powerstrip to get it to work optimal it was maybe 20 years ago