01-25-2021, 09:25 AM
Free Member

So I dug through the forum and found a post on enabling S-video on Pinnacle 510 devices. I went through those steps and ran Crossbar Thing before starting up VirtualDub, but now both the S-video and Composite don't read properly no matter if I enable either. They instead display a blue image with small horizontal black lines running through the entire display (attached in this post). Both in preview and out of preview, the software crashes along with my entire Windows 7 Pro OS, forcing me to shut down my computer. I don't have anything else running in the background nor do I have the internet connected and I tried re-downloading the drivers and software, but no luck. Any thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210123_175047.jpg (49.1 KB, 12 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-25-2021, 09:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Windows 7 x64, correct?
And you're using this driver: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...iver_64bit.exe

Device selected is correct?
Preview mode.
Using Crossbar Thing to select s-video. Does composite look the same?

What graphics card? An nVidia?

DirectX settings in VirtualDub preferences? (main, not capture mode)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-26-2021, 01:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Windows 7 x64, correct?
And you're using this driver: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...iver_64bit.exe

Device selected is correct?
Preview mode.
Using Crossbar Thing to select s-video. Does composite look the same?

What graphics card? An nVidia?

DirectX settings in VirtualDub preferences? (main, not capture mode)
Correct Windows 7 x64

Driver being used is version 14.0.0.166 taken from this part of Pinnacle's site: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Hardware_Installer/readmeHW10.htm
Would that suffice?

Device selected is correct (Pinnacle 510-usb)

I would normally enter Preview mode, but upon doing so, that is when VirtualDub crashes and not too long after my entire OS.

Crossbar Thing is opened prior to VirtualDub to enable S-video, all while the internet is disconnected and no other program running in the background (this computer is very fresh as I've hardly ever used it for anything other than a few projects to edit and now for VHS digitizing)

Graphics card is the EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 Classified 4GB GDDR5 Card

I'm not too familiar with the DirectX preferences you're mentioning, but I managed to find it after I opened up Capture in AVI. The settings are checked on under the display. Is there more to that I should be doing?

Thank you LS!

-- merged --

Hey lordsmurf, just checking in to see if my last message on this thread made it through. Still stuck in this scenario unfortunately Thanks!
01-30-2021, 12:16 AM
Free Member

I've read on other posts that you have to select integrated graphics for nVidia GPUs with VirtualDub.

To check the settings, try going to Nvidia Control Panel-->3D settings-->Manage 3D settings-->Global Settings-->(Preferred Graphics Processor) or (Power Management Mode) and see if Integrated graphics is selected under the Preferred graphics processor.

If you want to use integrated graphics for specific programs, there are ways to do that also. I'm using Windows 10, which has different menus and options/settings to choose from, so I can't be more specific. Hopefully, you can find an option in the Nvidia control panel to select integrated graphics, or other setting that runs the integrated graphics.

Also, the Nvidia Control Panel has different versions. I found one site that showed the option to add a "Run with graphics processor" to the "right click" menu for an application icon. Nvidia Control Panel--> Desktop menu --> Add ”Run with graphics processor” to Context Menu option. Depending on your program, you may or may see this as well. Worth looking into, however, my Nvidia and OS settings are different.
The following users thank stymie for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-19-2021)
01-30-2021, 05:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
I've read on other posts that you have to select integrated graphics for nVidia GPUs with VirtualDub.

To check the settings, try going to Nvidia Control Panel-->3D settings-->Manage 3D settings-->Global Settings-->(Preferred Graphics Processor) or (Power Management Mode) and see if Integrated graphics is selected under the Preferred graphics processor.

If you want to use integrated graphics for specific programs, there are ways to do that also. I'm using Windows 10, which has different menus and options/settings to choose from, so I can't be more specific. Hopefully, you can find an option in the Nvidia control panel to select integrated graphics, or other setting that runs the integrated graphics.

Also, the Nvidia Control Panel has different versions. I found one site that showed the option to add a "Run with graphics processor" to the "right click" menu for an application icon. Nvidia Control Panel--> Desktop menu --> Add ”Run with graphics processor” to Context Menu option. Depending on your program, you may or may see this as well. Worth looking into, however, my Nvidia and OS settings are different.
Thanks for the tip! I gave that a try and it worked without crashing my OS Though, I ran it through one capture and within 15 minutes the capture stopped, saying there was insufficient disk space. It didn't seem right to me so I checked my HDD space just to make sure and I have over 4TB of space remaining. When I went back to try another capture though, it gave me that error again within a minute, then I ran back to the same problem I originally had with VirtualDub not going past the Preview menu after Capture AVI, leading to my OS crashing again. I tried placing the program to a different disk, this time a 256GB SSD that had over 200GB of space remaining, but same issue again. Any suggestions?
01-30-2021, 05:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

You may have a bad HDD. That can cause what you're experiencing.

01-30-2021, 07:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
You may have a bad HDD. That can cause what you're experiencing.
I've eliminated that possibility as I've tried allocating the capture to be recorded on three different drives. One of the three is an internal SSD that is functioning fine when opening, reading and writing other files, another being an internal HDD on my desktop that functions the same, and the third being an external HDD that I use daily and have never experienced a problem with.

It seems every time I reboot my computer to restart VirtualDub after going through the Crossbar Thing first, the software determines there being 30 or so minutes of record time remaining, with the number fluctuating up and down at times. The first time around it stopped within 15 minutes before I tried to determine what the problem was, crashing my OS, and the second was within 5 minutes when I moved my cursor to click on the outer bar of my desktop background, completely freezing the capture image but still recording the audio. In all instances, I have nothing going on in the background and I'm off the wifi.

Unfortunately I'm not educated on deeply analyzing the inner workings of computer science, so it's just a little irritating running into this so many times with the setup I've got going on Any other thoughts on what might be happening or something I'm doing wrong?

VHS setup:
JVC S-VHS SR-VS30
Pinnacle 510-USB Rev 2.0 Capture Card (Driver version 14.0.0.166 for Windows 7 64bit)
Datavideo TBC-1000
Capture Thing
VirtualDub 1.9.11

Custom PC running:
Windows 7 64bit
Intel i7-3930K 3.20GHz 6-core processor
32GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 4GB Classified
256GB Corsair SSD
3TB WD Black Edition 7200/rpm HDD
02-01-2021, 03:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

VirtualDub, NOT in capture mode.
Options > Preference > Display, uncheck DirectX

Other than that, I really have no idea. It's a system error, not capture card/software issue. Very odd.

-- merged --

Try swapping the USB cable.

02-01-2021, 11:55 AM
Free Member

Did you format the HDD in NTSF or other? You may have a cap of 4GB per file so check the formatting settings of the hard drives you're using.
02-13-2021, 10:26 AM
Free Member

Sorry for the belated response here. I gave it a go again and managed to get it working for two runs with all the recommendations given here. One of the issues I resolved was getting it to actually run through properly on the right drive. It kept saving to another smaller local drive, but upon creating the video file, I changed the disk location which worked fine.

Unfortunately, after those two runs that night, when I attempted to run it again this morning for a much longer tape, ran into all the same issues I did before, even after doing all the necessary steps. It seems to be very hit and miss.I'm just really dumbfounded over this.
02-17-2021, 01:20 PM
Free Member

I can only encourage you to persist... I still have problems w/Win 10. It takes a long time for all the gear to wake up and connect properly on Win 10, even after 50 tapes.

My dog has learned many new words in the process.

I had to delete/reinstall everything a couple of times. Getting 32- and 64- bit codecs on the same machine was a real bear; I recently posted a description of how I installed them.
03-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Free Member

Update: so the fix was not to turn on my VHS deck until AFTER I enter Preview mode. I guess it just trips my entire OS out when it's already running, but so far I've gone through roughly 40 hours of VHS tapes no problem. I've also noticed my PC seems to give me random software update messages long after I've disabled the WiFi so I let it sit for quite a while before actually getting any digitizing started.

Tags
capture problem, encode, pinnacle, vhs blanks, vhs capture issues