Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-27-2021, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Hi,
I have installed the "eMPIA-Driver(Tevion)" driver provided by lordsmurf, but still after installing the driver, the card isn't recognized on Windows 10. In device manager, I see it is unrecognized as "USB 2861 Video". How do I fix this?

Thanks

This is on Surface Laptop Go by the way.

anyone? lordsmurf will you respond?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-28-2021, 09:15 PM
Free Member

Mine is recognized but skips chokes and pukes. Thanks Bill Gates.

-- merged --

I just scored what I believe is a coveted Tevion and the video looks great using a lappy with older W10 on it.
Audio is another thing. Skippy stutter, but audio capture preview is off but I can hear it.
I’m looking through threads for ideas.
At the very least this laptop will be non-internet. No fatal updates.
04-18-2021, 05:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Clean up thread some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractOffer View Post
Hi,
I have installed the "eMPIA-Driver(Tevion)" driver provided by lordsmurf, but still after installing the driver, the card isn't recognized on Windows 10. In device manager, I see it is unrecognized as "USB 2861 Video". How do I fix this?
This is on Surface Laptop Go by the way.
anyone? lordsmurf will you respond?
I have no idea. I know the video hardware and software, but not about every possible computer config out there.

To some degree, you're going about the al wrong. Connecting a video capture card isn't like connecting a printer.

Laptops are usually weak.
And something like a Surface is among the weaker of the weak, barely better than a netbook or tablet. It's meant to be weak, light duty, to extend battery life. OS settings are tuned to cut corners, to help with this. The side effect is that meatier tasks (like video) doesn't always work correctly.

You can capture video on a laptop -- I have a high-end Dell (M6800), and do it all the time. But sometimes that requires tweaking the laptop hardware/settings, so it's not strangling the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
I just scored what I believe is a coveted Tevion and the video looks great using a lappy with older W10 on it.
Audio is another thing. Skippy stutter, but audio capture preview is off but I can hear it.
I’m looking through threads for ideas.
I confirmed this is a clone. Nice find.

So what you're adding to this thread is this: this card is known to work with Win10 on laptops. That's good. That's expected.

The audio issue is simply related to drivers and VirtualDub setup.
Did you use my driver zip/instructions for it?
I'm about to setup Win10 on a system, but not done yet. I can help folks more when I get my new dev box setup.

VirtualDub2 is almost always the wrong choice for capturing.
Almost.
All rules have exceptions.
The card works better in VirtualDub2. So try it. You still need to do some tuning to the timing settings, but VirtualDub would sometimes completely reject the card's audio input (especially on WinXP).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-18-2021, 08:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I have no idea. I know the video hardware and software, but not about every possible computer config out there.

To some degree, you're going about the al wrong. Connecting a video capture card isn't like connecting a printer.

Laptops are usually weak.
And something like a Surface is among the weaker of the weak
I have captured on much slower and older laptops with no issues. There doesn't seem to be anyone here that knows much about this issue. If you don't know either, the $90 capture card I bought from you will be a total waste.
04-18-2021, 10:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Older and slower laptops (1) didn't have Win10, (2) didn't have the same sort of hardware-crippling to save battery life. In ye olden days of laptop, it was about newer and newer batteries to stretch life, not so much about crippling. If you needed longer, you bought extras (including some 3P). Once upon a time, 2 hour battery life was awesome. Now, if you get less than 10, people get out the pitchforks. That Surface Go has 9 freakin' hours, 5-6 under "load" (surely still crippled), and people poo-poo it because of it.

"USB 2861 Video" is the correct driver. It uses the eMPIA generic driver.

I don't know what "I see it is unrecognized" means. If it sees "USB 2861 Video", then it's recognized.

04-19-2021, 01:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Older and slower laptops (1) didn't have Win10, (2) didn't have the same sort of hardware-crippling to save battery life. In ye olden days of laptop, it was about newer and newer batteries to stretch life, not so much about crippling. If you needed longer, you bought extras (including some 3P). Once upon a time, 2 hour battery life was awesome. Now, if you get less than 10, people get out the pitchforks. That Surface Go has 9 freakin' hours, 5-6 under "load" (surely still crippled), and people poo-poo it because of it.

"USB 2861 Video" is the correct driver. It uses the eMPIA generic driver.

I don't know what "I see it is unrecognized" means. If it sees "USB 2861 Video", then it's recognized.
Device manager shows it as "USB 2861 Video" but with a yellow exclamation mark, so the card isn't actually recognized in Virtualdub, Virtualdub2, or any other software.
04-19-2021, 01:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Manually install the driver (on top of the existing). The "update driver" option.
Did you read the note on the audio?

04-19-2021, 02:00 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Manually install the driver (on top of the existing). The "update driver" option.
Did you read the note on the audio?
Already tried the manual install. It's the video I have problem with not audio.
04-19-2021, 05:07 PM
Free Member

I have the same Tevion purchased from lordsmurf and was able to get Win10 to recognize it. What driver version do you show for the "USB 2861 Device" under "Sound, video and game controllers"? I had to do some extensive searches to find the most recent (still old) driver. I have eMPIA driver 5.2011.823.0 with date 8/23/2011. I can always post it for you to try.
04-19-2021, 11:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNK_801 View Post
I have the same Tevion purchased from lordsmurf and was able to get Win10 to recognize it. What driver version do you show for the "USB 2861 Device" under "Sound, video and game controllers"? I had to do some extensive searches to find the most recent (still old) driver. I have eMPIA driver 5.2011.823.0 with date 8/23/2011. I can always post it for you to try.
Thank you for your response. I tried the driver provided by lordsmurf.
04-19-2021, 11:57 PM
Free Member

I've attached the driver installer I used. See if it works better for you. You might have to uninstall the other driver first.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Empia28xxx23082011.zip (25.24 MB, 32 downloads)