Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-10-2022, 05:48 AM
Free Member

Hi all.

I gonna to digital vhs tapes. I had a vcr of my parents (Samsung with 6 headers and s-video output). I bought usb video card (UCEC video capture) but only got colorless images.

My system is new and I have not agp line and I use Win10, therefore Lord Smurf recommends (alternatives for AIW) Hauppauge 610 USB2 capture stick. In my country USB-Live2 Analog Video Digitizer.

Exists the option for PCI (Hauppauge Impact VCB - Internal Card TV (PCI))

After the preamble, which option would be the most recommended? PCI or USB?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by overdrive80; 05-10-2022 at 06:05 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-10-2022, 08:03 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive80 View Post
I had a vcr of my parents (Samsung with 6 headers and s-video output).
"6 heads" is just marketing and the S-Video output probably isn't "real", for what it's worth. (Did Samsung make/rebadge S-VHS decks anywhere in the world?) It sounds like it's just a low-quality combo VHS/DVDR.

Quote:
I bought usb video card (UCEC video capture) but only got colorless images.
I hope you're within the return period. The device is specifically advertised as being "the best" for capture from VCR. Get your money back if you can.

UCEC All-in-One USB 2.0.jpg

Without something for TBC, no USB capture device will produce good results (that includes all of the recommended ones).

The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: overdrive80 (05-10-2022)
05-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Free Member

Ok, thanks. Then will bought PCI capture device.

EDIT: The VCR is this:

-- merged --

Ohhh in specifications indicates that s-video output is only for DVD.

Perhaps I misunderstood... do you mean that if the video does not have TBC, both the PCI and USB capture devices will not work for me?

From his answer, he had drawn the conclusion that with the PCI capturer he could capture with better results. I am very inexperienced in this matter.

As the links to the VCR images have been removed I have attached them according to the forum rules.

IMG_20220510_155942.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

05-10-2022, 12:29 PM
Free Member

You need lineTBC correction (at least) in both cases (except if you own a Canopus NX).

msgohan suggested you one of recommended capture cards (USB or PCI) instead of the UCEC card.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: msgohan (05-11-2022)
05-10-2022, 12:38 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the clarification. Among my little domain of the language and my lack of experience in this area did get me wrong conclusions.

Last edited by overdrive80; 05-10-2022 at 12:55 PM.
05-10-2022, 01:19 PM
Free Member

The S-VIDEO connector output is for the DVD player portion only. It does not provide video tape playback output.
05-10-2022, 04:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
The S-VIDEO connector output is for the DVD player portion only. It does not provide video tape playback output.
Thanks, already saw it in the manual, its a pity.

How to acquire a video in my country with TBC, is there the possibility of acquiring a separate TBC device to insert it?

EDIT: I answer myself http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html. Its a great forum!!
05-10-2022, 05:09 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

"Head counts" are messy, some machines could be both correctly described as having four or nine heads depending on how you describe them; each manufacturer kinda just made it up.

Six heads I imagine is SP and extended head pairs and the HiFi heads. Some machines included a single trick play head and included that in the marketing count, some didn't, and some even included linear audio heads in the count.
I had a non-entity machine years ago which claimed to be '8 head', it was a sleight of hand with the numbers.