Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-29-2021, 08:37 PM
Free Member

Hi, lordsmurf. Do you have any vcrs for sale?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-30-2021, 06:55 AM
Free Member

Hm, I haven't noticed the JVC SVHS TBC/DNR causing "blobbing" or whatever (the JVC camcorder TBC/DNR is another story..), though (at least on the PAL variant) it can cause some chroma after-image on scene changes as documented by several people, how much depends on picture mode and whether TBC/DNR is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
Now, I'm probably asking for a golden egg here, so feel free to laugh at me, but do any of them also have TBC (if it's full, and not line) enabled pass-through? I ask in case I can pay more for an 8mm/Hi8 recorder, and maybe less for an S-VCR.
The line TBC on some (or all?) the Digital8 ones is active if you use them to go from the analog input to firewire, though that also means the video will be DV-compressed. On ones that are not Digital8 there is no way to even pass the video through since there is only one analog in/out. The E60 is may be able to do the job fine as frame-TBC-alternative though unless you are dealing with commercial tapes that have macrovision/copy protection on them.

Hi8 camcorders play back standard video8 as well. Many, but not all, digital8 camcorders can play back hi8 and video tapes, the cheapest variants were digital8 only. Some standard Video8 camcorders featured hi8 playback (at reduced quality I think similar to SVHS Quasi Playback on VHS decks).

Unlike later models, the NTSC versions of the E60 and other panasonic DVRs from before the ES10 and other 2006 models actually have adjustable brightness/contrast/gamma. (I wish all of them had this...) Noise reduction settings are in the same place. I haven't used one so I have no idea whether all settings there apply to analog input or not. The whole interface and hardware setup differs a bit from the later models.
10-30-2021, 07:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I haven't noticed the JVC SVHS TBC/DNR causing "blobbing" or whatever
My only capture having a kind of "green/brown bobbling" (in the background of a fast moving scene), using a JVC SVHS HR-S9500MS with TBC/DNR on, is this one:
Immagine.png

Is this the pattern that user servese43 is referring to?

Quote:
though (at least on the PAL variant) it can cause some chroma after-image on scene changes as documented by several people, how much depends on picture mode and whether TBC/DNR is on.
I noticed that it also depends on the nature of the video itself:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...n)#post2619346

10-30-2021, 05:05 PM
Free Member

The "green-brown blobbing" in that picture is exactly what I get when I try to capture using NORM/AUTO!
10-30-2021, 05:26 PM
Free Member

In my case I have the same pattern also in EDIT mode, IIRC
10-30-2021, 05:34 PM
Free Member

Hmmm, that's weird. I must say I haven't rigorously tested for this issue, so it could've just been an S-video cable that wasn't plugged in properly during the capture I did in NORM. I've deleted the capture now anyway due to some horrible AGC issues (forgot to turn off "auto white balance" on my HXD870 AND I used a Hauppauge ImpactVCB-e, which seems to have a few AGC issues.)
10-31-2021, 05:20 AM
Free Member

Difficult to believe that a S-video cable connection may cause that pattern.

It's more the results of the JVC temporal filtering on Croma, spreading through adjacent frames, and it is more evident on scene changes.
I experienced that with edit=on is reduced a little bit because you disable the NR related to the mode, but the NR tied with the TBC is still active.

However, overall, I do not think that this is a problem because:
- without the NR circuits of the JVC the image would be worst, containing more (different) noise
- a simple/light temporal filtering on the video with your disliked pattern is able to smooth it in a significant way; an example here, what remais is noise of the master and/or noise of the vhs format, that I do not wish to process further to avoid artifacts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RLo6Ktqdg

Immagine2.jpg

10-31-2021, 06:15 PM
Free Member

I probably have no temporal smearing on my chroma because I have a TBC-less deck (use DVD recorder passthrough.) I find that my current workflow mentioned earlier gives me the best trade-off between noise and things like smearing etc. for most of my tapes. In the future I'll try and avoid making generalisations about things based on personal experience and see what the general consensus is on the forum.
11-01-2021, 05:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
In the future I'll try and avoid making generalisations about things based on personal experience and see what the general consensus is on the forum.
Don't worry. We all are here for learning and share experience ;-)