Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-01-2022, 05:42 PM
Free Member

A couple years ago, when I began trying to encode my 90's Hi8 tapes, I was running a Sony TRV81 to a Sony PD150 miniDV camcorder (for through-digitizing the analog video) to an iMac.

My image broke up at every cut and I never was able to encode even one video.

I posted here and Lord Smurf recommended I buy a DataVideo TBC-1000 and a Tevion DVD Maker from him. (I believe he referred to the Tevion as an ATI 600 USB clone.) I did end up buying both from him.

I barely got the gear 18+ months ago when things came up, I had to move across country, and am only now pulling these things out of storage and setting them up for use. I also just now installed VideoGlide 1.4 per LS's recommendation as the best Mac capture option.

So ... simple question ... now that the Tevion is plugged into my iMac and will be encoding composite and/or s-video to digital ... should I still have my Sony PD150 in the chain for digitization? (PD150 has s-video in and composite in to digital out).

I assume LS sold me the Tevion to replace the PD150 (ie, get a better encode) but it's been too long since that transaction, I can't find the conversation here on the forum that led up to the purchase, and I'm not even a beginner yet with encoding as I still haven't encoded one tape. So I don't understand these things yet.

Common sense tells me the Tevion replaces the PD150, but I want to make sure before I put myself through three hours of trial and error.

Do I keep the Sony PD150 in the chain of events? Or is the Sony PD150 now removed and replaced entirely with the Tevion?

Thanks greatly.
-JOHN

-- merged --

Ya'll can disregard this post. The more I think about it (an hour or two later), the more it's obvious that of course I would take a second A/D convertor out of the flow. It goes from the Hi8 to the TBC to the Tevion A/D to the iMac.

Per LS, he recommended an audio bypass of the TBC, which I'm doing. That's my whole flow of gear here tonight.

Now to go through the manual and try to figure out the settings on the VideoGlide capture. Hooo, that's a lot of settings to learn.

-- merged --

Moderator, please delete this entire thread. I posted a stupid question and couldn't delete it myself. Not worth anyone's time to read it.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-01-2022, 09:49 PM
Free Member

You are correct, the Tevion replaces the PD150.
The following users thank traal for this useful post: Sac John (01-01-2022)
01-02-2022, 03:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
Sony DV camera is removed, no useful. It had been a DV converter, and gave low DV conversion quality. Now you have something that can allow lossless capturing.

Not a stupid question at all. You just needed reminding, clarification.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Sac John (01-04-2022)