12-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Hello,

I probably won't make this purchase for a while, but just to start gathering some info, do you have any suggestions for a PAL or multisystem VCR? As you know I have an external converter, so I wouldn't need any on-board conversion. I don't know if I'd ever have a need to play PAL S-VHS tapes, but I'm assuming most high-end VCRs will be S-VHS anyway. So any advice on the make, model, and where to purchase would be great.

I didn't even bother posting on videohelp.com for this one. I learned my lesson after asking about the PAL DVD player =)

Thank you
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I have a JVC HR-S7965EK that came from .... a place that seems to be out of stock and lists the model as ... "discontinued" ?? I just got this in October! It cost about £145 ($280) and was about £65 ($125) to ship here.

At any rate, I originally found the JVC 7965 and 8965 on http://pricerunner.co.uk, the UK version of pricegrabber.com. I had a friend overseas import it for me. I paid him, he bought it, mailed it to me.

A google.co.uk search turned this up:
http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/ac..._HRS7965_hrs79 65.html

In JVC, the PAL 7000s are like NTSC 7000s, and the PAL 8000s are like NTSC 9000s.

Regardless of country, the 3000s-6000s are all pretty much lower grade machines. No TBC, fewer filters. These are mostly different because the "editing" features vary from unit to unit. The 5000s and 6000s are the better lower end ones, but still low end. I do not suggest them as primary VCRs.

Experience has shown me the best way to buy PAL is to get it from a PAL company and import it yourself. Just be accepting of the crazy shipping rates, and understand that IN TOTAL, it's not much different than a NTSC unit bought in the USA, add taxes, shipping here, etc. Plus NTSC prices (on good equipment!) are higher for some reason, probably because it's all imported from Japan to begin with. Most PAL equipment (that I have seen!) seems to be made somewhere in Europe (Germany for the JVCs), therefore lower export/import costs to the company.

Again, this is going off the assumption you are seeking highest possible quality. There are easier-to-find, lesser-expensive, less-quality machines. Not too many, but they exist.

Mitsubishi and Sony have had nice units in the past, but you'd end up with used equipment. I tend to stick with JVC, because I know they work and continue to work for many years. (This is partially why used equipment is harder to find for JVC.)

I would check ebay.co.uk and see what kind of options are available for JVC PAL S-VHS VCRs. Even if the seller says "UK only", you can usually sweet-talk them into overseas sales, especially if you have an excellent feedback rating. Some may be used, some new.

Another unit I've noticed is the Panasonic NV-SV121EBS. It has TBC and most things found on the JVC. Do not take this as my recommendation, as I have no experience on this exact machine. It is worth investigating should the JVC's proove too elusive. That one can be bought here: http://www.digitalempireonline.co.uk/defaul t.asp?Detail=Yes&ModelID=246. Here's your chance if you want to experiment with things.

Find a friend in UK:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m&category=755 29&item=5734771045&rd=1
This one is worth at least £150 .. at least.

You know where to meet some UK friends.

You also need one of these:
http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId={EVERES TC004A284-E6CB-4C79-985A-0E2A00AD41AD}&ic=VC100W ... ONLY turn these on when the unit needs power.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Thank you sir. I actually already sent that seller an e-mail (for the eBay auction) before you added that to the post. MAybe he'll ship to U.S... if the feedback theory holds true, I've got about 62 unique positive feedbacks and no negatives, so we'll see. Hopefully the price will stay low.. it looks like a steal right now with only a day and a half left on the 10-day listing. If he won't ship to U.S., I'll have to try the UK middleman method.

If I miss out on this auction, as I said, I'm not in any rush to get ahold of one of these. I only have a few PAL tapes as it is, but at that price, I can't resist.
12-05-2004, 01:58 PM

If you only have a few tapes, it may be worth it to just pay somebody else to do it for you. I offer such services. In the end, costs for having a few tapes done for you will be far less than buying and importing high dollar equipment.

12-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

That's true, and I've considered that. The thing is that, even the 10 or so PAL tapes that I have now are usually $20 a peice to convert, which is already around $200. On top of that, buying my own unit leaves my doors open to so much more in the future. While most things these days are on DVD, the rarer stuff is usually limited to VHS. Especially after I started checking out sendit.com and play.com... I didn't even realize how much stuff is released over there that we don't get. By the way, that second link was linked to a shopping cart, so it doesn't work. I'm assuming from the URL that I'd be getting the V-100 model?

Thanks
12-06-2004, 10:53 AM

VC-100, correct.
Yes, the VHS/DVD world outside the USA is quite fruitful.