03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Free Member

Is it possible that you can't hook a JVC DVD recorder up to a 1995 TV set? I've decided to put a TV set, and a DVD player and a JVC DVD recorder into a spare bedroom. The reason is for guests and to actually have the availability of a extra DVD recorder. The TV set has a great picture but only has a co-axial output. I tried hooking the cable in to the JVC DVD recorder than going straight into the TV (coxial), and then having the three point hook ups (video, audio) running between the DVD player and the DVD recorder.

TV works great and the picture looks great, but I can't seem to get anything from the DVD player or the DVD recorder on the TV. Channel 3 doesn't show either one and input button doesn't show a line 1 & 2 channel.

Any suggestions??
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Free Member

My Mom has a TV that can only view AV inputs through channel 91. I know that older TVs had a switch in the back where you'd select channel 3 or 4 as the display channel for the RF input. Maybe that's what you need to set.
03-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Free Member

I'll check the back of the TV. but I've put the channel on 3 & 4 and don't see my DVD player or DVD recorder. The DVD recorder is the JVC M10 model that LS recommended. I've always had a problem figuring out how to use it to record VHS tapes to. MAy be I need some adapter or something?
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
DVD recorders do not modulate RF signals. None of them do (with a few rare exceptions). This means whatever is played into or on the recorder does not exit from the coax. It only exits from the s-video, component, HDMI or composite. The coax in splits to the recorder tuner, as well as to the coax out. The coax out is then used for the tv coax in, so that it too can independently tune channels. To connect the recorder to the television (and see the DVD player or recorder picture), you must have s-video, component, composite or HDMI connection. If no such connection exists on the tv, then you must buy a separate modulator, which runs about $20-30 from Walmart (RCA, Magnavox or Philips branded, in most cases). The external modulator takes the composite or s-video signal, and converts (modulates) it to a coaxial signal for the ancient television.

I have to do the same thing for the tv in my rec room.

Not including a modulation device in a recorder saves a couple of dollars ($5 or less) of production costs. It's BS, but there's not much that can be done about it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Free Member

Well, I was able to get the TV in my rec room see both my DVD recorder and the DVD player doing what I posted above. I did move a different DVD recorder in to the room,(RCA) and all is well but you have to turn the DVD recordere and do line 1 to see the DVD player. I took it out of my bedroom and put the JVC M10 in there. The JVC records fine in there and I very seldom watch DVDs in our bedroom, and if I do the JVC recorder will work fine.

My question now is with the JVC recorders do you need to buy a HDMI connection or some type of modulator to record offf of a DVD player or VHS recorder? This question may have been answered already above, but I'm not sure.
03-20-2008, 02:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's as simple as composite or s-video out from the player (DVD or VCR), to s-video or composite in of JVC recorder (either front or back). Front of JVC is F-1, back is L-1 or L-2. Be sure it's set to that channel (not 3 or a number, but less than 3, channel down, where you'll see DV, F-1, L-1, etc). Be sure the wires are good.

Not sure why you'd analog copy a DVD (player to recorder) -- use a computer.

This is something that's usually easier for me to see an explain. Consider taking pictures of the setup.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs