Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-16-2022, 03:52 PM
Unconfirmed User

Problem:

For the past week I have struggled with inserted frames in VirtualDub with my ATI AIW USB card. When I hit F6 in virtualdub, I always immediately receive 3-4 inserted frames. Within the first hour I get an additional 15-20 frames sporadically. This occurs regardless of the tape or hardware in the line. When I rewind the tape and try again, the inserted frames are never in the same location on the tape.

I have noticed that VirtualDub will insert 3-4 frames immediately on F6 when beginning capture. This occurs even if I have no s-video/audio cabling input into the card. This seems to indicate the problem is not likely the equipment prior to the card.

The hardware I have been troubleshooting with:

JVC HR-S9600U (x2)
DataVideo TBC1000 (x2)
Dell Optiplex 7010 (i3 3.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, Windows XP SP3) (x2)
ATI AIW USB 2.0 (x1)

Troubleshooting steps so far:

[Swapping Hardware]
Since I have doubles of everything outside of the ATI AIW USB card itself, I have swapped all hardware and cabling. From the UPS all the way to the usb cable used by the card. I have completely replaced the desktop with another Dell Optiplex 7010. The only thing I have not swapped is the ATI AIW USB and it's power cable. I have swapped from usb keyboard / mouse to ps2. I have removed any extra cards on the board not used. Pulled any usb devices that are not the card. I am capturing to a secondary sata drive and not on the main os, I have also swapped this drive.

[OS Changes]
I have removed any software I could find that was unrelated to capture. (This includes AntiVirus and anything else I could come across that was not necessary.) I have disabled the network cards and have gone into device manager and disabled onboard audio. I have used msconfig and disabled all services and startup items that were not microsoft services. I have reinstalled Windows XP. I have prevented the HDD from sleeping and I do not bother the computer while it is capturing.

[VirtualDub]
I have mostly been using 1.9.11 + Filters from LS. However, I have also tried to use 1.10.4. I have tried Huffyyuv, Lagarith and No Compression UYVY. I have gone over Capturing with VirtualDub [Settings Guide] several times and my settings should mirror those provided. I have tried to use both LordSmurf and Sanlyn's differing advice for the timing options (Drop and Insert frames). When I have Drop and Insert enabled, I get the inserted frame problem as I describe. When I disable these options as well as resync mode, I drift out of sync over the 2 hr tape.

I am sure there is something obvious that I am overlooking. Hopefully this issue sounds familiar to someone that can offer advice.

Last edited by tape; 02-16-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-16-2022, 05:07 PM
Free Member

After a capture, if it shows inserted frames, then instead of rewinding the tape like you would normally do, fast-forward it all the way to the end, let it rewind back to the beginning, and try the capture again. I think inserted frames are often the result of the tape not being consistently tensioned.
The following users thank traal for this useful post: tape (02-16-2022)
02-16-2022, 05:39 PM
Unconfirmed User

Great advice and I have tried this as well. It's probably important to note that I am getting inserted frames even on the JVC menu. This leads me to believe it is unrelated to the source material.