08-21-2023, 08:16 AM
Free Member

Not sure if anyone has figured this out yet, but normally after configuring the proc amp settings in either Virtualdub or AmarecTV, the USB-Live2's proc amp reverts back to the default settings. I just found how to fix it...

Open the proc amp window, configure your settings, then click "apply". But... *do not* click "ok". Manually close the window using the "X" at the top right of the window. And if using AmarecTV, close both the proc amp and main settings window the same way.The settings are now saved.

Not sure why they revert back to default when selecting ok... I guess it's a bug in the driver.

Last edited by bmichaelb; 08-21-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-22-2023, 01:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Capture card "proc amp" frequently does not actually work on capture, or resets constantly before/during/after capture activities.

By the time the capture card gets the signal, it's really not any different from software color correction. It's not analog domain corrections. It's not a replacement for a hardware proc amp.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-22-2023, 03:54 PM
Free Member

Well, I'm not sure about other cards, but with the Hauppage units, it does indeed affect the capture. I literally see it with my own eyes when I load the clips into VirtualDub for editing. The Hauppauge proc amp is limited though, with only Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation and Sharpness available to be tweaked. I've successfully brought down the brightness and saturation, adjusted the contrast, then leaving sharpness as low as it will go.

And although it does reset on its own on my WinTVHVR-1850... sometimes, that usually doesn't happen until reopening the app of choice when capturing, and not unless a reboot of the pc. At least not in my experience.

The USB-Live2 is a different beast though... after figuring your settings then selecting "apply", as soon as you select "ok"... it reverts back to the default settings again. There's more than a few comments out there of people having the same issue, including a thread here on this site. The workaround in that thread was to use GraphEdit.

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8511-usb-live2-proc.html

I would have posted my findings in that thread, but it was too old. Just trying to help anyone else who's facing the problem.

Cheers.
The following users thank bmichaelb for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-22-2023)
08-22-2023, 04:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichaelb View Post
Just trying to help anyone else who's facing the problem.
Cheers.
Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: bmichaelb (08-22-2023)
08-22-2023, 06:12 PM
Free Member

One question I do have though, is the Gamma slider is greyed out for the Hauppauge units... if I wanted to set Gamma for 1.8, how do I do it in Avisynth? I tried "Levels(0,1.8,250,2,255,true)", but I'm not sure if that actually sets 1.8, or if that's just a level between 1.0 and whatever the maximum is. Any suggestions?