06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Free Member

Hi all. I have a Sony EV-A50, 8mm VCR. It looks like the heads are shot. My tapes play fine on my camcorder but not on this deck. There are what looks like tracking lines through it and the audio is garbled. I ran a brand new tape through it for 20 minutes, with no luck. I used a Dry Head cleaner on it twice with no luck. Really sucks as I have a lot of 8mm Tapes to transfer over. Does anyone here know a good place to get this repaired, or how much head replacement costs for something like this? Or is it even worth it considering how hard it might be to find the parts.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Use the camera. That's the best choice anyway, as the heads on it should play perfect to the tapes it made. Unlike a VCR.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to wayshway
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

Use the camera. That's the best choice anyway, as the heads on it should play perfect to the tapes it made. Unlike a VCR.

Yup, I agree as well.
06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Free Member

If you really want to get it repaired, go to the Sony web site and check the service/support page - you can locate a Sony Service Center and even schedule a repair. Sony won't touch equipment that's 20 years old or older - as I learned to my dismay when I took a half day off at work to take my old Beta deck down for repair. They could have told me that up front. But the issue is parts - they just don't have them for units that old.