11-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Got the deck today. I had a bunch of SP and EP tapes on hand to test it. So far it looks like a keeper. Tracks SP tapes without a problem and unlike my 7800U, it tracks a variety of EP tapes I feed it as well. I haven't done an A-B comparison with the 7800, but it looks like the deck has the "full" Digipure abilities, including chroma noise reduction.

The menus are slightly different from the newer models, but there is a dedicated "Dub Mode" instead of the "Picture Control" option. The manual's wording for the use of dub mode is similar to the 7800 manual's wording for the EDIT mode picture control.

the Dynamic Drum Timescan functions are pretty neat. It looks like the whole point of the drum is to produce crystal clear video during jog-shuttle operations along with audio preview.

Service Manual attached for the collection.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf jvc_hr-s4500u_s7500u.pdf (5.15 MB, 87 downloads)
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: BOTTLEDOCTOR (08-13-2017)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
Got the deck today. I had a bunch of SP and EP tapes on hand to test it. So far it looks like a keeper. Tracks SP tapes without a problem and unlike my 7800U, it tracks a variety of EP tapes I feed it as well. I haven't done an A-B comparison with the 7800, but it looks like the deck has the "full" Digipure abilities, including chroma noise reduction.

The menus are slightly different from the newer models, but there is a dedicated "Dub Mode" instead of the "Picture Control" option. The manual's wording for the use of dub mode is similar to the 7800 manual's wording for the EDIT mode picture control.

the Dynamic Drum Timescan functions are pretty neat. It looks like the whole point of the drum is to produce crystal clear video during jog-shuttle operations along with audio preview.

Service Manual attached for the collection.
Cool! Thanks for your insights. Any chance for some image or video A/B comparisons at some point? I always like to see the different decks tested against each other.
12-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Further playing around with this VCR revealed a slight problem with the tape transport. If you hit play after doing a high speed fast forward it mistracks the tape and then shuts down to protect the VCR. Looks like there is some "slop" in the tape transport after fast forwarding and the take up reel doesn't tension up the tape as much as it should. Any quick fixes for this problem? Its not a show stopper, just annoying. It also seems to be a common problem with older VCRs in general
12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
In situations like this, I open the unit up, and watch the transport in action. It removes a lot of the guesswork. Usually. And then the service manuals tend to answer your questions on how to repair whatever you observe as being broken.

I'm sure you may have thought of this .... but I wanted to repeat it all the same. Just in case.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

I spent most of Saturday evening testing it out with the cover off. Nothing obvious to my eye, just slightly more tape slack on the take up reel side of the transport after high speed fast forward. I have encountered other VCRs with this problem, so its fairly common and easily avoided by hitting rewind before hitting play again. When I have time, I'll take another look at it. I still have to do an A-B comparison with the newer Digipure models that have the picture mode filters. I have to say, this VCR tracked every EP tape I put in it without a problem.
08-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Free Member

I need a belt replaced.. This manual doesn't shot that procedure.. Might you have ideas on this ??
thx, jim
02-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
If you still have this, I'd like to see a video or screen shots on the 7500 menus.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-05-2022, 09:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
If you still have this, I'd like to see a video or screen shots on the 7500 menus.
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but i'm considering purchasing one of these units and stumbled across this thread in my google searches.

Did you end up getting a video or screen shots like you wanted LordSmurf? It's likely I'm picking up this unit today, so I can get you some shots of the menus if you still need them.

-=Xhum=-
10-05-2022, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Still have the VCR but it is out of commission. Flipped on the power strip and something went *POP* in the deck, now it's dead. I might actually have A-B video comparisons somewhere, but don't hold me to it. That was almost 10 years ago. I diagnosed the transport problem as bad reel brakes on the take up reel. Appears to be a common problem on JVC decks.
10-06-2022, 09:28 AM
Free Member

Problably the fuse went pop as u say, easy fix if so

Tags
jvc hr-s7500u