Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-09-2024, 08:31 AM
Free Member

First, here's my setup:

PAL VHS (VHS-C in adapter) > Panasonic NV-FS100 VCR > VCAP800 Capture Card (s-video) >VirtualDub1.9.11 (Windows 10)

I have read the VirtualDub Settings Guide and got it all dialed in (all settings, no audio playback checked etc). I am also using the Lagarith Codec.

I do not have a TBC in my workflow.

I am encountering a "repeated frame stutter", however. These could be inserted frames, I'm not sure. I have tested the videos directly into my TV and there's no issue.

This issue isn't specific to VirtualDub, just so that's known. This stutter is evident in ArcSoft as well. My inkling is it's the VCAP800, but I'll let you guys be the judge there.

Here is a video to explain things better. Sorry it's animation, it's my only cassette that isn't a personal home video!

Repeated Frame Stutter

Thanks in advance!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-09-2024, 02:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Welcome.

- You lack frame TBC.
- VCAP800 is a low-quality "grabber", not suggested for multiple reasons. £30 on Amazon/eBay is a ridiculous low price for a capture card, like paying £0.25 (25p) for a loaf of bread. How fresh/good would you expect a 25p loaf of bread to be?

This is what happens without frame TBC, when using non-quality capture cards.

The fix = getting a quality frame TBC, or frame TBC(ish) + quality capture card.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-09-2024, 02:53 PM
Free Member

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Would the following be a good fix, then:

Panasonic DMR-ES10 + Pinnacle USB (I have WIN10, as previously mentioned)

If so, I may purchase the PAL Pinnacle from you.

-- merged --

Not sure what Pinnacle this is but could it be a decent one? I’m happy to roll the dice, if so.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4502.jpg (162.1 KB, 9 downloads)
02-09-2024, 05:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothocary View Post
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
Would the following be a good fix, then:
Panasonic DMR-ES10 + Pinnacle USB (I have WIN10, as previously mentioned)
If so, I may purchase the PAL Pinnacle from you.
The ES10 is a DVD recorder, not a TBC.

It has the unique feature of a strong+crippled line TBC for passthrough, with a non-TBC frame sync. It reduces quality. It's actually worse for PAL users than NTSC users, as it messes with exposure/brightness/luma. The ideal use is for achieving net quality gains, such as using it for anti-tearing.

And yet, better than nothing at all. Not ideal, but rather least-worst option. Worst is nothing.

There are better options, at multiple price points, from about $600 range to obvious $2-3k range for the actual/best/ideal TBCs. But it also depends on VCR, sources, etc. A conversation must always be had when you want to jump down the budget gear rabbit hole.

Quote:
Not sure what Pinnacle this is but could it be a decent one? I’m happy to roll the dice, if so.
No.

Don't random buy items.
- If you're a video, that's one thing.
- But if you want to buy this gear in order to use it, then don't random buy items. You're just wasting time, energy, money. I never understand this way of thinking. ABC may be cheap, but you need XYZ instead.

02-09-2024, 05:44 PM
Free Member

Well, this is all new to me so that’s why I’m asking. To clarify, is this particular unit definitely not compatible for my uses? Thank you.
02-09-2024, 05:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Well, this is all new to me so that’s why I’m asking. To clarify, is this particular unit definitely not compatible for my uses? Thank you.
Yep, I get that.

That unit is not a suggested model. It's much older hardware from the late 90s into early 00s. That's why those are generally so cheap.

02-10-2024, 06:05 AM
Free Member

Thank you, LS. This is all good to know.

For thread posterity, we have moved to PM for the potential sale of a capture card.