Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-18-2023, 06:40 PM
Free Member

Hi. I am trying to use VirtualDub to capture my VHS tapes, and I used the recommended settings as shown in the VirtualDub recommended settings thread, but I can't see any video while I'm capturing. How do I fix this?

Can lordsmurf answer this for me?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-18-2023, 07:26 PM
Free Member

What version of VirtualDub?
What OS?
I have found that enabling filters, even if applying none, can trigger the preview, or try turning the histogram off/on.
Others will hopefully chime in.
02-18-2023, 08:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolover View Post
Hi. I am trying to use VirtualDub to capture my VHS tapes, and I used the recommended settings as shown in the VirtualDub recommended settings thread, but I can't see any video while I'm capturing. How do I fix this?
I'm having the same-ish issue. I have a thread right below this one now. I didn't see this thread earlier cause I would have just posted in here.

For me it gives an error message and won't let me capture at all when the preview or overlay mode is selected. As long as I disable that, it will capture, but won't show me anything on the screen.
02-18-2023, 11:04 PM
Free Member

The recommended VDub version for capture is 1.9.11.

On the Audio menu, try a capture with "0 Capture Device" selected.
02-19-2023, 07:07 AM
Free Member

I have 1.10.4. I will try switching to the suggested version. Windows 10 64 bit.

-- merged --

I tried turning the filters and histogram on and off and it did nothing. And I tried using the version you suggested. It worked initially, but then I closed it and opened it back up and it turned off again. Also, when I set the output size to 640x480, it automatically goes back to 640x368, and yes, I hit apply too.
02-19-2023, 08:27 AM
Free Member

Which capture card?
02-19-2023, 10:06 AM
Free Member

Roxio capture card.
02-19-2023, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. I've not used a Roxio, so I cannot offer any assistance in that way.

None of this may help, but I'll at least mention some basic things that I've encountered with Virtualdub 1.9.11 and things mentioned in the settings guide.

First, just to be certain, the settings guide is at https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...-settings.html

I use an ATI AIW capture card, and I only see Video when in Preview mode either during capture or not capturing. Different brands of capture cards may only work in Overlay and not Preview or vice-versa, as was mentioned in the guide. At least for my card, sometimes things are a bit glitchy and can freeze while not in capture mode. Sometimes in Preview, switching Preview Acceleration mode to Interlaced or playing a previously captured video in a different app like VLC or Windows Media Player can get the freeze to go away. I don't play the video while in capture mode, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolover View Post
I tried using the version you suggested. It worked initially, but then I closed it and opened it back up and it turned off again. Also, when I set the output size to 640x480, it automatically goes back to 640x368, and yes, I hit apply too.
You mentioned 640x480. I have always captured at 720x480. I believe the settings guide suggests that the resolution you choose has to be compatible with your card. Perhaps trying to set the card to 640x480 and having it revert to 640x368 says it only supports 368 at 640, and you need to switch to a different mode, such as 720x480 to get 480? I don't recall how I did my initial setup, because it's been so long ago, but the guide author says they used Custom format to set resolution, instead of the Output Size area of Properties because changing the custom format will be reflected in the Output Size Property. I would guess that it may display options that the card does not support. So perhaps trying different combinations of vertical and horizontal resolutions can help. Again, 720x480 is ideal and is the recommended setting on this forum. I won't go into that because there's plenty of talk in past threads.
02-19-2023, 12:32 PM
Free Member

I used the guide. The software worked fine when I first downloaded it and then it suddenly stopped working for some reason. Would listing my CPU specs help?

Last edited by mariolover; 02-19-2023 at 12:45 PM.
02-19-2023, 01:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Roxio = Easycap (aka Easycrap, a deserved nickname).

Win10 = problem OS for capturing, updates can randomly nuke capture

Capture 720x480
Almost never 640x480
Never anything weird like 640x368

To clarify, capturing without audio is just a test, eliminate a variable. Hushpower wasn't suggesting to capture that way.

When using Win10, and VirtualDub fights you, try VirtualDub2. It has problems, but at least test it for the moment. Let's see what works, and doesn't work, and we'll revisit as needed. Note that the 2 fork isn't better or "newer", just different, and not necessarily in a good way. It can work at times, but more often fails.

- AmaRecTV is often mentioned, and it can "work", but there's some funny business going on there. I've not had time to really dig into its operation.
- Never use OBS, awful for analog capture, that's digital streaming recording software, not the same at all.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs