Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-01-2023, 04:55 PM
Free Member

I have some questions for lordsmurf regarding Pinnacle USB:
  1. Can it bypass Macrovision on its own?
  2. How would you rank the good models in terms of PAL VHS capture? You said Pinnacle 710 USB was better than Pinnacle 510 USB for that purpose, but it'd be nice to know where Pinnacle 500 USB and Pinnacle 700 USB fit in the rankings.
  3. How does it compare to Tevion High Speed DVD Maker+?
  4. Can it output PAL VHS captures to MPEG?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-03-2023, 11:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
No card can fully "bypass" (ignore) Macrovision. Some effects will always leak.

Assuming you refer to the specific Pinnacle cards that I have in the marketplace, they are higher on the spectrum for signal impurity tolerance. But I'd not classify it as a card that can ignore video errors -- because, again, no card can do some. None, 0%, anti-science.

The main mistake you make here is assuming that all Pinnacle "510" (710, 500, 700, etc) are "the same". This is not the case. Pinnacle (and Hauppauge) have the bad habit of recycling model numbers. Many manufacturers do, on their longer-lived models. As further examples, the AG-1980P has variations (which effects quality less, durability more), and the AVT-8710 slowly degraded from excellent to fluky to flawed crap over the years. In each case, the company wanted to keep the model for easy marketing, rather than reflect the fact that the item had changed (and positives reviewed definitely eroded for new revisions). This afflicts other tech areas, such as SSD and HDD, and if you watch LinusTechTips, he rightfully gripes about this at times.

The 500/700 is not at all the same as the 510/710. Overall, the 500/700 is worse. But at a granular level, it's murky. You can't compare a newer problem item with an older "good" (not really great, in the grand scheme) item.

This is the result of waiting decades to do a task that was popular then. At the time, it was easy to say "yes, get this model, here's the link to Amazon/B&H/wherever". But now, not possible. eBay isn't answer either. The quality gear still exists out there, but you're cannot random buy. Conditions matters, exact variation can matter (when applicable).

Tevion is the same. There are many "Tevion" cards, mostly crap. In the past (not now) I've had specific Tevion cards that were actually ATI 600 USB "clones" -- and tested as such! Beware of eBay sellers claiming this, (almost) all lies of ignorance. I've only seen one time where a Tevion there was truly "clone", and it was untested. That's bad, because these cars can fault over time, heat strikes again, and the chips fault. A true test takes a sustained long capture, and these faulty cards can suddenly lose USB connection.

Assuming the have best Pinnacle, and the true "clone" Tevion, then the victory goes to Pinnacle. Image values are more accurate.

No USB cards can capture MPEG. That time long ago passed. MPEG capture was a task of AGP/PCI cards. Even the AIW PCIe did not properly capture MPEG, very messy. (Technically some early USB 1.1 cards captures MPEG, way back in the late 90s into early 00s, but it had quality and usability issues. Those were locked to pre-XP OS.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-03-2023, 01:46 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the thorough reply!

Quote:
Tevion is the same. There are many "Tevion" cards, mostly crap. In the past (not now) I've had specific Tevion cards that were actually ATI 600 USB "clones" -- and tested as such! Beware of eBay sellers claiming this, (almost) all lies of ignorance. I've only seen one time where a Tevion there was truly "clone", and it was untested. That's bad, because these cars can fault over time, heat strikes again, and the chips fault. A true test takes a sustained long capture, and these faulty cards can suddenly lose USB connection.
You say you don't have any ATI 600 USB clones right now, but you have one "Tevion ATI 600 USB clone" listed for sale in your sales thread. Is that stock count just something you forgot to update?

I recently bought this Tevion High Speed DVD Maker+. The box is in Spanish, so apparently they sold them in Spain as well. The seller said it was the right one, seemed knowledgeable, and provided me with drivers and instructions, so hopefully that turns out well when it arrives.

Quote:
No USB cards can capture MPEG. That time long ago passed. MPEG capture was a task of AGP/PCI cards. Even the AIW PCIe did not properly capture MPEG, very messy. (Technically some early USB 1.1 cards captures MPEG, way back in the late 90s into early 00s, but it had quality and usability issues. Those were locked to pre-XP OS.)
Ah, so I guess lossless AVI would be the preferred output format regardless of PAL or NTSC and regardless of capture card then.
04-03-2023, 03:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzomba View Post
You say you don't have any ATI 600 USB clones right now, but you have one "Tevion ATI 600 USB clone" listed for sale in your sales thread. Is that stock count just something you forgot to update?
It sold.

Quote:
so hopefully that turns out well when it arrives.
Good luck. Mail from Spain (Correos) is notorious, and has been for decades. Items can literally disappear for months in their backwards mailing system. Over the years, I've pressed my luck, in order to order rare DVDs and Smurfs collectibles. 2 months is a good minimum, and it arrives looking like a truck drove over the box.

Quote:
Ah, so I guess lossless AVI would be the preferred output format regardless of PAL or NTSC and regardless of capture card then.
Yes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-03-2023, 06:24 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Good luck. Mail from Spain (Correos) is notorious, and has been for decades. Items can literally disappear for months in their backwards mailing system. Over the years, I've pressed my luck, in order to order rare DVDs and Smurfs collectibles. 2 months is a good minimum, and it arrives looking like a truck drove over the box.
Welp, sounds like Spain without the S :/

Tags
ati 600 usb clone, macrovision, pinnacle usb, tevion