03-23-2023, 04:52 PM
Free Member

I want to capture an NTSC analogue VHS tape from a JVC Super VHS ET HR-S3910U using s-video cable to a Sony DCR-TRV530 s-video port. This is not for a DVD disc but storage on my computer to be later copied to a flashdrive or stored in the Cloud/Gdrive.

The camera is a pass-through using a firewire 4pin to 4pin cable to a firewire card on Windows 7. Once it is digital I can move a file to a different Win10 PC for editing in Vegas 16.

Camera settings:
VCR set = Hi stereo sound (ON). TBC (ON)= to correct jitter. DNR (ON)= to reduce picture noise. PB Mode (AUTO)= to automatically select the system [Hi8/standard system when your camcorder does not automatically distinguish the recording system.
A/V-DV-Out (ON)= To convert analog video signals into digital video signals via your camcorder.

I used Scenanlyser Live for the capture.
Capture Settings
File type = type2 DV, 720x480x24 (default for Premiere, Vegas, etc) File size = unlimited (for NTFS only) No clips just 1 long one. 44 Gb. Captured video is 4:3 (YES) Capture audio (YES) Keep DV-Audio in-sync (YES) Audio mode for all avi files written (FIRST CHANNEL)

Recommendations?
Which settings for Project Settings in Vegas? (Image submitted is the project setting I used in Vegas.) Should I try a different capture technique and start again? Like Cloner Alliance Box https://www.cloner-alliance.com/cloneralliance-box-pro/

Perhaps my capture settings should be adjusted? Should I look into using VirtualDub, Hybrid. Both of which I am inexperienced.

Of course my main goal is to sharpen the image but I know that might be impossible. The colours and sound are fine, screen format is fine.
In the end it may hardly be a noticeable result even with an improvement in equipment and software.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vegas 16 file properties-1.jpg (144.3 KB, 6 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Free Member

For archive and subsequent restoration, sweetening, editing you want the best practicable capture of the original video tape. Other threads discuss work flows in detail with recommendations on hardware and software.

Conversion of VHS to DV whether through a capture devise such as the an ADVC product or DV camcorder passthru is not recommended due largely to lossy compression. Not good especially if the video has a high level of noise as is common with home video shot in poor light.

While I do not know the Cloner-Aliance box you mention from the documentation it appears to up scale composite or component inputs to 1080P and save as a compressed, lossy MP4 filet. It does hot have s-video input. At its price point is is unlikely is has quality Y/C separation or other essentials processing. In any case upscaling SD video is generally pointless nothing is gained beyond larger files, slower editing/restoration processing, and conversion artifacts.

However, both options can provide a quick and easy path to convert VHS to a digital file if ultimate quality is not a priority.
03-26-2023, 08:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandell85 View Post
I want to capture an NTSC analogue VHS tape from a JVC Super VHS ET HR-S3910U using s-video cable to a Sony DCR-TRV530 s-video port.
Although s-video, this setup lacks TBCs, and the quality will be double-reduced from the quality that actually exists on the tape. The line TBC in the camera does not work on passthrough. So the VHS will have some % of wiggle and distortion, and likely drop frames (thus cause audio sync issues). But the damaged isn't done yet! The DV will squash the color to 4:1:1, and add blocks; DV is 1990s video tech.

At minimum, you need a JVC VCR with line TBC, or an ES10/15 between the VCR and DV camera. This method will still not yield quality, but it's better than nothing. Adding a frame TBC, and a better capture card, is suggested.

Quote:
Should I try a different capture technique and start again? Like Cloner Alliance Box
That box is a piece of overpriced crap, not to different from the half-baked method using HDMI converters that were made for DVD players and video games (and vastly losing quality in the process). Even the best VCR and TBC can't undo the damage done by these sorts of junk converters.

Quote:
Perhaps my capture settings should be adjusted? Should I look into using VirtualDub, Hybrid. Both of which I am inexperienced.
Yes, VirtualDub still best for capture.
Hybrid is excellent, but it not for capture. It's for encoding the final product, and including some restoration and prep tasks (like deinterlacing).

Quote:
Of course my main goal is to sharpen the image but I know that might be impossible. The colours and sound are fine, screen format is fine.
FYI, it's all related. If you heavily compress color, it creates blur and mush. If you wrongly deinterlace, it creates distortions including softness. So "sharpening" an image is about retaining the original sharpness more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
However, both options can provide a quick and easy path to convert VHS to a digital file if ultimate quality is not a priority.
I know you often write something like this, but I think the language is too soft on it. It gives a person an out, an excuse for lower quality. It's not direct and blunt enough.

It reminds me of magazine reviews, where the publication is afraid to speak truth, too scared to not offend the manufacturer. It could be an item (example: a DVD player) that catches fire, and the magazine would softly state "It didn't work as expected, but it did keep us warm in the office during recent cold winter nights!"

Sometimes newbies fully misunderstand the degree to which quality is lost, until it's too late. Often costly mistake are made. My goal is to help them avoid problems, not ease into them. So I prefer to be very direct in language.

At worst, soft language is a misdirect, lulls into false sense of security/choice.

We must be careful when talking to newbies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs