11-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Free Member

Hi, I've come into possession of a DVK-100 and with a quick look at the manual it seems that majority of features relate to the chroma keying functionality. Aside from setting the right pins and selecting the right inputs, is there much configuration necessary to make use of the TBC functionality?

I'll be using with line-TBC equipped camcorder and Philips VR1000 VCR (JVC clone), USBLive2 capture card.

If not tweaking any of the default colour settings are these devices ok on the defaults?

Is the fan mod essential? I'd only be using for maybe 1-2 hours at a time and not continuous use. Is it essential to use the "grounding" connection on front panel?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-22-2023, 04:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Most manuals lack information.

That Live2 card is pretty ugly without TBCs, it's one of the weaker cards, so it's definitely needed here. As good as TBC as you can get. The DVK is weak, not great, but better than nothing.

Everything needs to be unity. Also a good idea to lock it once set.

Sometimes mods actually involve extracting the chip, making changes there. Various fan mods. It really depends on version.

It's not plug-and-play, not actually a TBC. The TBC inside is to assist itself in the chroma keying, not your external video tapes. That makes a difference in performance, and again weakness.

Ignore grounding.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-22-2023, 05:03 AM
Free Member

Yes it is the most I can do for a setup for now.

What version numbers should I be looking for, and is there some reference I can crosscheck that with to determine mods?

Is the fan mod important for short-term use i.e. 1-2 hours at a time?

The manuals do give quite a bit of detail on the chroma keying but if I don't set anything of that will the TBC be activated by default or is it a separate process?
11-22-2023, 05:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

The fan injects image noise, so it has to go. It's not just obnoxious to use.

Yes, for the chroma key info, it is detailed. For anything else, not even mentioned.

Unfortunately, due to how DataVideo manufactured, this zero rhyme/reason to the serials. This is all stuff I had to teach myself from R&D, and I've never documented it in any sort of detail. My goal was to rehab units for others, and I did whatever was needed. I currently have 3 units, and all 3 needed something different to create budget workflows.

11-22-2023, 05:40 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The fan injects image noise, so it has to go. It's not just obnoxious to use.

Yes, for the chroma key info, it is detailed. For anything else, not even mentioned.

Unfortunately, due to how DataVideo manufactured, this zero rhyme/reason to the serials. This is all stuff I had to teach myself from R&D, and I've never documented it in any sort of detail. My goal was to rehab units for others, and I did whatever was needed. I currently have 3 units, and all 3 needed something different to create budget workflows.
So if cables are connected to camera inputs, s-video mode selected, correct pins in place, is something else needed to activate the TBC?
11-24-2023, 09:55 AM
Free Member

So I've got my unit and test captures running but the first observation was that power connector on the back must be really flakey. The PSU had a collar to secure the connection, but it needed light pressure to hold it in place and allow the unit to power up. Cable is fine when tested with multimeter. Have tried with another PSU and the input just about stays in place - there is no collar so it will slip out on the slightest contact - but I'm not happy to just let it sit unattended.

Is it an easy fix to replace the power socket on these?
11-24-2023, 10:32 AM
Site Staff | Video

Not easy, must replace.