Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-31-2023, 09:03 AM
Free Member

Current setup:

Windows XP Integral Edition -> AmaRec 3.10 -> ATI USB 600 -> ES10 -> HR-9500U

I have about ~40 tapes in need of digitizing. Some are regular sized tapes but most of them are VHS-C (I am using a JVC C-P7U Adapter). For the most part, things are going fine. But last night I noticed an issue where the player will fade from black at the start of a tape, if only for about a second. It will also do this after breaks of intermittent static (or 'snow'). These are home movies, so the static breaks are common, they appear between individual days/times that were recorded.

I only realized this was an issue when I went back and compared the captures I'm getting from this current setup to captures of the same tapes using an older setup. Earlier this year I was using a crappier capture method (pre-owned vhs/dvd combo -> A/V to HDMI box -> $15 Amazon HDMI capture card -> OBS) And in those captures, this issue doesn't exist. While the old set up would entirely miss out on the first 2-3 seconds of a tape, it also had no problem with the static breaks. It would capture every frame post-static in the expected brightness. I did side-by-side comparisons using Virtualdub to confirm it was the same frames displaying normally in the older capture that were displaying appreciably darker in the newer capture.

I assume it is the fault of the player itself, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I fiddle with the TBC/Stabliziation/Calibration settings constantly because some tapes benefit from them, while others do not (flagging issues and so on). Sometimes I get lucky when restarting the tape, but I've come up with no consistent solution.

Is there a particular setting I should turn on/off to stop this? Or is there a trick to getting the tapes to start/return from static cleanly? Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-31-2023, 04:40 PM
Free Member

Okay, I think the issue is the TBC/NR setting. When turned off, the picture 'juts' into frame, quickly albeit noticably re aligning the vertical. With the TBC/NR setting on, the vertical is fine, but it fades in. There's one cut in particular I'm testing it on, which I can only get to display properly if I play the video just before its timecode. I'm still wondering if there's setting that won't do either of these things :/

Last edited by Benthony; 07-31-2023 at 04:56 PM.