Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-03-2023, 06:43 PM
Free Member

Hello all,

There's a lot of talk about various TBCs and how some are "less strong" than others or that some of the less expensive ones might not actually do anything at all. Are there good demos of some of the higher end ones compared to lower end ones out there? I know there's decent comparisons between ES10/15, but many say those blur the image quite a bit, but are still essential in some cases.

There was an interesting method of just tapping a tape lightly while it it is playing to create reliable timebase errors to then go and try to correct that which I've seen in some YouTube videos as a method to create significant reading errors that we'd then be able to attempt to correct.

My thought is you could either physically tap the outside of tape or case of the deck, or have some sort of a weight on a hinge that is dropped from a certain height that should generate enough of a reproducible physical vibration to the VCR using to do the test to get repeatable results with a static recorded image to see what different TBCs will actually do to improve those mechanical errors.

I'm not aware of a way to have a digital version of a timebase error that you could play back as analog, since if you could, you'd be able to feed the same error-ridden signal over and over consistently to whatever TBC you are trying to have correct it. Would love to hear ideas if that's thought to be possible somehow.

The HR-VS30U I've been messing with actually seems to have better video output with the "video stabilization" option selected instead of TBC since they can't both be run at once since enabling one will disable the other. I understand the ideal workflow would be to have a full frame TBC in line to either be used together with or alone after the VCR, but there don't seem to be a lot of great options out there and I don't really want to have to buy them all to see what works well. VHS_Decode seems interesting too, but a bit beyond my expertise to get up and running and the ~100GB per hour thing for the initial capture file sizes is also a bit intimidating

Last question is whether TBC is supposed to do anything for vertical shaking, or just horizontal?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-03-2023, 07:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Hello, welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
There's a lot of talk about various TBCs and how some are "less strong" than others or that some of the less expensive ones might not actually do anything at all. Are there good demos of some of the higher end ones compared to lower end ones out there?
Not yet. I've been acquiring samples for a while, but holding all until the site re-dev.

Quote:
There was an interesting method of just tapping a tape lightly while it it is playing to create reliable timebase errors
My thought is you could either physically tap the outside of tape or case of the deck, or have some sort of a weight on a hinge that is dropped from a certain height that should generate enough of a reproducible physical vibration to the VCR using to do the test to get repeatable results with a static recorded image to see what different TBCs will actually do to improve those mechanical errors.
No, that's not the same. That doesn't create normal timing errors.

Quote:
I'm not aware of a way to have a digital version of a timebase error that you could play back as analog,
That cannot exist.

Quote:
The HR-VS30U I've been messing with actually seems to have better video output with the "video stabilization" option selected instead of TBC
That's not accurate. The stabiilzer cannot correct timing errors. All it does is attempt to lock jittery (not jargon "jitter") video, attempt to corral erratic whole-field/frame movements. It's not that successful.

Quote:
I understand the ideal workflow would be to have a full frame TBC in line to either be used together with or alone after the VCR,
VCR > TBC > capture card

Quote:
but there don't seem to be a lot of great options out there
What do you mean? There are quite a few decent options, the only variable is condition and availability. Don't buy from eBay.

Quote:
and I don't really want to have to buy them all to see what works well.
Why would you? I've used and tested probably 90%+ of all TBCs, and shared my findings in summary form.

Quote:
VHS_Decode seems interesting too, but a bit beyond my expertise to get up and running and the ~100GB per hour thing for the initial capture file sizes is also a bit intimidating
vhs-decode isn't what most people think it is, nor even what gets claimed by the fanboys of the project. It's just an alternative capture method, but with many limitation and caveats. It's certainly not any sort of TBC, or TBC replacement.

We have a vhs-decode dev here at this site, and he's very grounded in reality.

vhs-decode is mostly good a slight % recovery of sharpness, though not guaranteed. And again, it can add back errors not found in the standard VCR>TBC>card workflow. I've seen a few scant samples of other possible benefits, including a recent sample here in the forum that showed some ghosting suppression on a tiny sample. But it was very case-based, small proof-of-concept type samples.

While interesting, it's just not a project feasible for normal use.

Quote:
Last question is whether TBC is supposed to do anything for vertical shaking, or just horizontal?
That's not the goal.

Line TBC mostly corrects visual issues. The errors can be removed/corrected/suppressed or minimized. But it depends on the root cause of the issue.

Frame TBC mostly corrects signal issues. But the byproduct can be to remove/correct/suppress or minimize whole-frame errors (namely bad/wrong whole-frame movements).

Understand that TBCs are not magic boxes intended to fix whatever ails the picture or signal. TBCs do correct a vast array of issues, the byproduct of correcting specific line/field/frame issues. But it's not there to just fix any random issue seen on screen. The VCR can be a major determining factor as well, which is why a quality S-VHS VCR with line TBC is so important for quality, in addition to the frame TBC after it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-04-2023, 08:01 PM
Free Member

All good points! Part of my curiosity with existing TBCs and workflows is that there may be a new option in the form of the RetroTink5X pro which just had a beta release of a TBC feature. This is a $325 device that has been out for a while that can have custom firmware uploaded as new features are added or improved. Its primary aim is lagless upscaling/line doubling for analog games, however, the TBC feature with the appropriate settings holds 3 frames in a buffer and can outputs them smoothly without doing any deinterlacing or line doubling if you don't want it to, though it does have several hardware deinterlace or scaling functions that can be applied to the output as well. Also has a built in Proc Amp. Accepts SCART RGB, Composite, Component, S-Video as inputs.

Only issue is that the output of the RT5X is over HDMI, so it can't be used with existing analog capture cards. This may not necessarily be a bad thing since we want to end up with digital in the end anyway. Just depends on how "lossy" that digital conversion is within the RT5X is I suppose. My understanding is that all TBCs internally convert to digital for a short time while each frame is held in a buffer and you may actually get some noise generated by going from analog -> digital -> analog anyway?

What considerations have to be made if you were to capture 480i signal over HDMI with an HDMI capture device? I am not too familiar with how well those do with interlaced signals and 4:3 aspect ratios.

I'm definitely wanting to try it and compare to the more traditional options (I've got a ATI 600 USB clone on the way) and already have the RT5X from another project.

Could use a little guidance about how the workflow would change if the 480i signal is obtained using an HDMI capture card. Like what capture cards are known to play well with 4:3 and 480i resolutions and how should the fields be stored (weave?) in the file and what codec/capture software should be used?

What sort of comparisons should I upload as far as captures go to show what the results look like once I have everything?
07-04-2023, 11:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Retrotink does have contain, no replace, TBCs. It's merely a capture card for video games, and only video games.

Converting to digital, and converting to HDMI, is no the same thing. HDMI is digital, but digital is not HDMI. And no, interlaced SD over HDMI is messy in practice.

You're not wanting to try anything that hasn't been tried before. Non-starter, nothing new there, not what you think it is.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs