Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-04-2023, 11:57 PM
Free Member

I’ve recently sourced some equipment for different types of captures for my family, first up are all old VHS and VHS-C tapes and I want to capture them in the best quality I can within reason of course. I have the JVC HR-DVS3 and have ordered a DVK-100, and will connect these with S Video and use virtual dub for as close to lossless capture as I can get and then compress the file for easier viewing, whilst keeping originals stored somewhere. I’m just a bit puzzled as the best way to go about this

First question is: since my JVC VCR has a TBC, should I still get an ES15 in between the VCR and DVK? And if so would i keep the TBC running on the VCR or use the Es15 instead?

Secondly: Would I need to mess around with lots of settings with the DVK or do you generally just use it as a pass through TBC and ignore a lot of the colour related settings on it?

Thirdly: I have some Video8 tapes of my own that I intent to recapture properly as I did them recently via FireWire which I now know isn’t ideal. I used a Sony Digital8 handycam DCR-TRV460E which has S video as well, so would S video give me better quality? And would I have a benefit running the camera through the DVK and or ES15 as well? And in doing so would I still use the TBC on my camera if I did run through the ES15/DVK?

Thanks guys, trying my best to get an understanding but sometimes it’s a bit overwhelming trying to gather the best information so thought I’d directly ask on here.

Last edited by DigiTime12; 09-04-2023 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Capture card is IO Data GV-USB2
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-05-2023, 12:50 AM
Free Member

1- Use what you you've got until you run into problems, then deal with them accordingly.

2- The DVK-100 is a chroma keyer, not sure how TBC is implemented in it. I would capture without it first and see how it goes. Use its proc amp for unusual tapes where levels are way off.

3- You will see a slight better difference when you capture over S-Video. Though, Do your own comparison, don't take anybody's word for it, If you see the difference is not worth a recapture, that's all what matters, Not sure? post before and after samples.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
09-05-2023, 02:07 AM
Free Member

Quote:
First question is: since my JVC VCR has a TBC, should I still get an ES15 in between the VCR and DVK? And if so would i keep the TBC running on the VCR or use the Es15 instead?
Use an ES-15-type stabiliser only if the TBC of the JVC can't do the job ie it can't correct the wiggles/wavy edges. If you do have to resort to using an ES-15, switch the JVC TBC off.

Quote:
Would I need to mess around with lots of settings with the DVK or do you generally just use it as a pass through TBC and ignore a lot of the colour related settings on it?
I have a DVK-200 and find the brightness and contrast controls on it are great for adjusting the levels using the VDub histogram. Precise knob control verses moving sliders with the mouse/arrow keys.

Quote:
I used a Sony Digital8 handycam DCR-TRV460E which has S video as well, so would S video give me better quality? And would I have a benefit running the camera through the DVK and or ES15 as well? And in doing so would I still use the TBC on my camera if I did run through the ES15/DVK?
Don't "follow" a VCR's (or camcorder) TBC with the ES-15. It's either/or. So, if the camcorder TBC is on, leave the ES-15 out of the workflow (as for a VCR).

As for the DVK in the camcorder chain, let's see what Lordsmurf says.

Re Firewire verses S-Video, I agree with Latreche. Do a test comparison. NTSC DV has a lower colour thingee (4.1.1) than PAL, which is 4.2.0; I can't tell the difference between PAL DV and S-Video here but I suspect the recommendation for NTSC land would be to capture analogue S-Video in preference to DV.
09-05-2023, 04:33 PM
Free Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I will do a few tests and report back, capture card hasn't arrived yet from Japan so cant do an S-Video test just yet but will do when I can.

Tags
dvk-100, dvs3, es15, s video, trv460e