Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-27-2023, 09:08 PM
Free Member

Using a Datavideo-1000 TBC in a recording/capturing chain however everytime I use it with my JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder it only records about 15-16 minutes before the DVD Recorder conks out and I get the infamous “Loading” error. The DVD recorder never does this when not hooked to the Datavideo plus I had the capacitors replaced earlier this year. Only when doing tests with the Datavideo TBC does it shut down on me. What’s happening??
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2023, 10:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
You're missing something somewhere.

Is that DataVideo sharing a "surge" strip? (And BTW, you should NEVER rely on those, never use, the strips all 100% crap that offers zero actual protection)

Sharing a UPS? If so, which UPS? How old? When was the battery last replaced?

This issue is more likely power related from sharing power sources, and really has nothing to do with either device specifically. This could have happened with any random devices sharing power.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-28-2023, 10:55 AM
Free Member

I’ll try different power sources. I don’t know what you mean by UPS???

For what it’s worth the JVC DVD recorder was plugged into my wall.
09-28-2023, 12:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Never plug devices directly into the wall, unless you're willing to lose the device. That may have load issues on the circuit, I've seen it before.

UPS = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninte...e_power_supply aka battery backup power supply
Cyberpower best, 1500 model best: https://amzn.to/4676NO5

I see no way that the TBC-1000 could cause the JVC to go into a LOADING error. The video signal will not cause LOADING, and the power source is the only other things that is shared here. So it's coincidental, not causal. Find the cause.

09-29-2023, 09:17 AM
Free Member

This morning I decided to plug the TBC in a socket on its own (I know you said don’t do that but other than a strip where else would I put it???) and move the plug to the DVD recorder to a different socket on an adjacent wall. This time I was between 19 and 20 minutes into recording before the error occurred so no dice but maybe this is on to something????
10-07-2023, 08:06 PM
Free Member

Is there another step to try??
10-07-2023, 08:51 PM
Free Member

Is the TBC right on top of the DVD recorder? Maybe it's a heat issue.
10-08-2023, 12:44 AM
Free Member

When you say you had the capacitors replaced, do you mean in the caps in the JVC DR-M10 or the caps in the TBC? "Loading error" as far as I know really only comes from the DR-M10 if the caps are bad in it - could be that the new caps also went bad? Probably more likely if the DVD recorder was plugged in 24/7 since the caps were replaced as I believe the power supply is still somewhat active even when the machine is not in use and that's more or less what causes things to go bad and could also be that the caps were rated for 85C vs 105C could provoke it. Could also be that some other caps went bad in there since the replacement. Not sure why it would have the error only with the Datavideo though.

Really sounds like the the Datavideo is giving some sort of temporary signal issue to cause interference quite a ways into use which could be due to heat buildup I suppose, but odd that the loading error is what the result is. I'd say try running the data video without the top case and have a decently powered fan pointed right at it and see if the issue doesn't pop up if used that way.
10-08-2023, 01:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
- could be that the new caps also went bad?
It also depends on what "news caps" means. Were all the caps replaced, not just the then-bad caps?

This is the exact reason many of us are pissed at TGrant. Many of us paid about $500 for repairs in the late 2010s, but he only replaced bad caps. That makes the 90-day warranty ridiculous, as more caps are extremely likely to fail within coming months/years. After 90 days, you get to pay him another $500 for another half-assed "repair". At the time, none of us realized this, and we thought all caps were being replaced. His knowledge of AG-1980 is immense, but he really screwed us by making costly repairs that required more costly repairs, rather than a one-and-done repair (like I try to do, Deter, VCRshop, and some others)

By contrast, Deter replaces all caps in my AG-1980s. He correctly knows that when one goes bad, they'll all go bad in due time. I let Deter repair my decks (that were formerly repaired by TGrant, then failed), and he did an outstanding job with all of them.

So who repairs the unit matters, and how well they repair the unit matters.

The JVC DVD recorders are vastly easier to fix, but I'd still suggest full re-capping. Not a half-ass job that replaces random failed caps. Caps are like dominos -- one falls, all fall. Like a long domino chain, it takes time between the first and last to fail.

10-08-2023, 08:48 AM
Free Member

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that whole history there, I did see a repair report from TGrant and it'll note something like 5-10 caps replaced outside of the TBC/YC board and the front boards.

The way the current website reads is that he fully recaps the display board and I'm sure also the SMT caps on the TBC/YC board.

I'm about to start listing some AG1980's that I've refurbished, but I always fully recap both front boards, power supply, TBC/YC board, Head Amp, then just recap the rest as needed or if known to be high failure rate caps. I also will always replace the motor coupling and re-lubricate/re-time the mechanism. This is about 75 caps at minimum (which is about 1/3 of the total) which are the most likely to fail even if they haven't yet.

I did a literal full recap on one unit which is more like 250 caps moreso for science to determine which caps usually go bad as in-circuit testing isn't always completely accurate. Good news is that it's usually the same boards and caps that fail on these which is relatively predicable as they are either in use while the power is off or just are the harder working caps in there.

For example, I pulled something like 30 caps from the non-fully recapped boards of a unit yesterday that were testing either leaky or low capacitance and 95% of those tested fine when out of circuit (within -10% rated capacitance and maybe slightly elevated ESR, but nothing that the meter said was definitely bad). I of course replaced them all anyway since I had them out of circuit.

More related to this topic, I also have a DR-M10 and only have replaced the 4 caps that usually cause the loading problem, though I haven't actually got around to using it to actually record anything yet lol - They were a crappy brand of cap and didn't really seem to have any density to them (could be because all the electrolyte is gone). Luckily, they didn't use that brand of cap anywhere else in the unit.

Here's the thread that goes over common failures on the DR-M10 and could potentially be worth prophylactically changing things they mention depending:
http://cippico.com/forums/viewtopic....ad87e2c0f8f618
10-21-2023, 04:36 PM
Free Member

I had the caps in the DVD recorder replaced. Which ones specifically I’m not sure. I would have to ask the gent again.
10-23-2023, 01:32 PM
Free Member

Just got off the phone with him and yeah he said he only replaced the faulty ones.