Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Free Member

Just to confirm - this is related to using DV to pull across non-digital 8mm; normally the recommendation would be to capture over S-Video on these too (not just VHS)?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZeta00002 View Post
Just to confirm - this is related to using DV to pull across non-digital 8mm; normally the recommendation would be to capture over S-Video on these too (not just VHS)?
Yes that is correct
12-08-2023, 04:31 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peahix View Post
Thanks! Yes, I watched that DPS475 video you linked to awhile back. Thought about making audio connectors for mine but just never got around to it. I'm not much of a tech. I can do simple things, but real repairs I leave to the pros. Can you recommend anyone in SoCal who'd be qualified to have a look at my 475, ie the caps etc? Thanks also for the info on the S-Video. I previously was using the S-Video in (from the ES15) but switched to component, assuming that'd be better, but it sounds like consensus is it's not, so I'll go back to S-Video.

Since you seem to have alot of experience with the DPS475, do you have any recommended default setting tweaks for it?

Unrelated question about Video8/Hi8/Digital8/MiniDV: I have several different camcorders that I use to transfer these formats, and on every one of them, the color is more saturated on the camcorder's screen than it appears on any monitor I'm watching the captured video on (ie, when I'm not processing the signal in between the camcorder and capture). Is it simply how those camcorders were made, with saturated displays? Or is it possible that I'm losing something in capture?

I'm a bit confused. In an earlier comment, you said that the ES15 is not a TBC, but here you're saying it is a line TBC. Can you clarify?
No specific setting recommendations as of now as I haven't done too much testing yet. The area where I'm struggling on the testing is needing some tapes that have bad time base errors present already to see how different TBCs react to the same signal. Idea would be to capture the same output signal with several different devices at once (with a distribution amplifier). That, and I want to recap them before doing any testing to give them the best possible chance at performing like new.