Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-31-2023, 02:37 AM
Free Member

Hello dear friends
This is my first question.
Iranians have a proverb that says: What a young man sees in a mirror, an old man sees in raw clay.
That's why I always refer to Lordsmurf's answers at the end of each thread until I get to the answer.
Only in some cases I have not succeeded in reaching their answers.
My system is a Windows XP SP2 2015 and non integral, AGP AIW 9600, ASROCK 4CoreSata2 Ver 1.1, CPU E7300, Ram 2G One Medule, Power 650 Cooler Master, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (2003) I Connect Directly From ES15 to RCA Of PCI Sound Card.
About the virtualdub, when I play the movie from the JVC (HR-S5990AM) device the picture is fine, but then the picture capture needs Deinterlace.
When I open VirtualDub and select the Microsoft Capture option, I have a smoother Playing. Of course, the Overley option is active from the video tab. I know that I must first change the device to ATI and select the preview option from the video tab.
Is there a problem with my graphics card AGP AIW 9600, or is it the same for you that the video playback is fine, but the quality drops a bit after capture?
The next question is about choosing the compression method. I used the first option, which is uncompressed.
About Huffyuv, I have two choices, which one should I choose?
Now, what should be the best secondary system for editing and processing large AVI file?
What software? Avisynth or hybrid?
Thank you for answering these questions.
Best Regards, MOUSA
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-31-2023, 03:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,475 Times in 2,105 Posts
I like that proverb.

The computer is probably fine.

Why is interlaced required? The signal is natively interlace. For archives, leave it interlaced. What delivery/output requires deinterlacing? And what are those full specs (example = H.264, MKV container, AAC audio, ??)

I've seen the ATI "issue", which is actually related to the system and drivers. I've seen where ATI AIW requires Preview mode, or Microsoft selected as device allows Overlay (but AR displays 4x3). It's not really a problem, just different to guides.

How does quality drop? I'm confused here.

Huffyuv lossless AVI is ideal for capture.

Best depends on needs. I was editing video on a P4 20 years ago. What will you be doing? I now edit on an M2 Pro in FCP, but that's not really usede for videos I capture.

Hybrid contains some Avisynth (and Vapoursynth). I tend to write pre-scripts in Avisynth, and those .avs files are my source for Hybrid to further process. But it fully depends no what you need to do.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: SouthernerMan (12-31-2023)
12-31-2023, 04:03 AM
Free Member

That's exactly what the proverb and I meant about having your own experience. Because your thirty or forty years of experience is much more than ours.
The reason for using DeInterlace is the presence of horizontal lines in the captured video. I will attach a sample.
- About Huffyuv there are two, I don't know which one to choose?
- Is it wrong to edit the captured file in Windows 10 in the virtual dub environment? After finishing the capture, I disconnect the internal hard drive from the Windows XP system and connect it as a second hard drive to my higher system that has Windows 10.
12-31-2023, 04:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,475 Times in 2,105 Posts
It's supposede to have lines (interlacing). When viewed on a TV, the lines are not seen, because it's is made to handle interlaced content. Most TV channels are broadcast interlaced. The computer monitor is progressive, not interlaced, which is why the lines are visible. To view the interlaced video on a computer, using a player like VLC, and enable deinterlace with Yadif 2x.

Now then, to make a copy for something like Youtube, then deinterlacing comes into play.

Two? Include a screen shot of the settings window.

VirtualDub is a limited editor. But if all you need is limited editing, then it works great. It really depends on what "editing" means to you. There are many ways to edit. If just lopping off unwanted segments, it's great. It can ever restore the video, with filters like CCD or ColorMill. But to do anything moderate to advanced, not so great, that's what NLEs are for.

HDD swapping is fine for me. I use SSDs and drive bay caddies now. Easy switching.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: SouthernerMan (12-31-2023)