Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Free Member

Had to burn some sales demo tapes to DVD. Had mixed results with my JVC S-video to DataVideo DVD burner. Would a BVP-4 between the two help or just get a Grass Valley unit and go direct to PC. Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated. Thanks - Bob
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'd almost want to back up a bit here, and get to know your process better...

1. These were VHS tapes? If so, what brand/model VCR (or camera) was used to play them? If not VHS, what format, and what playback equipment?

2. Maybe you meant a JVC S-VHS VCR where you said "JVC S-video"? If so, then that means VHS or S-VHS, and again, which exact model? If any TBCs/filters were engaged, which ones did you use? Maybe take a peek at http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...k-hardware.htm for more information on JVC filters.

3. DataVideo DVD burner? Do you refer to the DataVideo version of the older Canopus DV boxes? Please clarify model and machine type. DataVideo makes/brands a lot of stuff.

4. The BVP-4 is an excellent proc amp, works great for adjusting colors and associated video image values. Even the up-resolution knob works pretty decent on some higher-grade tapes. But it would only be a good addition to your setup if you need these specific fixes.

5. The Grass Valley / Canopus DV boxes (ADVC units) are seriously overrated by the hobby/consumer crowd. They have their own share of quality problems, as DV works better for as-shot videos, not as a conversion middleman. In other words, DV cameras good, DV converters not so good. In all honesty, a DVD recorder or another capture card is often a better solution.

It may take several back-and-forth posts, but getting you a solid quality output should not be an issue much longer. Once you have the gear, and a little hands-on experience and knowledge, transferring becomes routine. It's restoring quality that gets tricky.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Free Member

OK - won a BVP-4 off ebay, but need manual & tape/dvd. Can you still get them from Digital Video ( did not see on their website) or does some one have copies I can buy. Thanks
07-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The manual is honestly unnecessary. The dials are all fully labeled, and the functions should be obvious. If somebody did not fully understand terms like "luminance" or "IRE", then merely putting in a video, turning the knobs, and observing how the video changes, would give them an idea of what's going on.

I don't know what "tape/dvd" you're referring to. I'm guessing it could have come with a demo of some kind? If so, that's more or less unneeded/useless, too.

The company that created the BVP-4 Plus no longer has anything to do with those products.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!