09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf,

I've been reading the forum postings, and find your responses to indicate that you are a fairly reliable source of knowledge regarding VHS archiving. I was hoping you can give me some guidance regarding a rather sizable project that I've put off for far too long, VHS conversion to digital media. I have about 96 hours of home video that my father has shot from 1980-1996, and my goal is to convert this to a digital format for preservation and to edit the home movies in Adobe Premier.

I have a high technical level and even spent a little time cutting VHS using Video Toaster and NLE solutions on an Amiga. While I may not be hip to the analog side of Video, I'm somewhat knowledgeable on the digital side of things. I've built up a workstation that I find capable of handling the editing workload, and I've got the NAS to handle the video store, but I'm lacking the most vital tool, a VCR for playback. My ideal configuration would be a direct dump of the VHS tape to raw file for later editing (and even later encoding to DVD) using a Canopus ADVC300. I read the VCR Buying Guide sticky, but I just wanted to see if you had any VCR suggestions specific for 2009 with consideration to my goal and purposed method. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hi there, thanks for writing.

Yes, I've worked at restoring VHS tape for more than a decade a now. First it was to higher-grade S-VHS tape, and then to digital formats (mostly DVD) for archiving.

Converting 96 hours of home video is a medium sized project, not too bad at all. With a lot of editing, it may take some time. I'd suggest not only converting and editing it, but creating DVDs with a secondary audio track for family commentary -- especially if you're young, as the elders of the family are often decent narrators. That makes for a complex project, but if you're decent with an NLE, it should be fairly simple.

Storage sounds good, nice to have NAS (on a gigabit, I'd assume?), Premiere is a great solution. Hopefully you're on CS3 or CS4, they work great. Of Premiere Elements, current version.

Canopus ADVC 300 is not one of my favorite boxes. It's been maybe 4 years since I handled one, and it was kind of lackluster. It made big promises, but honestly fell on its ass in follow-through. For starters, to call the filters inside of it a "TBC" is a bit laughable, it never really did anything that I could tell. And then the filtering on the video was often overdone, various visual clarity loss. Finally, consumer DV (DV25) is just not a good format to crunch a VHS tape into -- it's not uncompressed. The colorspace for NTSC is just a killer as far as I'm concerned, it gives an odd look to the video color palette, both in contrast and in the green/red values.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but I felt the need to mention it. The device may work -- then again, you might also notice such oddities, so keep this in mind. It's the card, not the tapes.

As far as a VCR suggestion that is more "specific for 2009", no, there won't be one. The VCR suggestions post is what is sometimes referred to as "evergreen" information -- it does not expire, and it's unlikely to become outdated.

What I would say, however, is that the VCRs listed there all differe a bit. The one you pick should be determined by the tapes you have. I can help in this process. Answer these questions:
  1. What mode are the tapes recorded in? (SP, LP, EP, SLP)
  2. Do the tapes have any physical damage, such as having been "eaten" by a VCR in the past (in part or in whole).
  3. Is the original camera still available?
  4. How many cameras, given that is was a 16 year spanse of shooting?
  5. Have you ever had tracking problems with these tapes when trying to play them in the past?
Reply here. Register for the forum, if needed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs