Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Free Member

I'm converting VHS to DVD. Did some tests. It turns out that going straight from VHS to my old Philips DVDR75 gives noticeably better quality than capturing through my Hauppage 1850 in Windows. I can then take the better quality Philips-produced DVD's and edit them on my computer with chapters and stuff and smart render them back to DVD without any quality loss.

Sooo, to convert the rest of my 50-75 VHS tapes, I'm thinking of investing in one of the recorders this website mentioned will actually filter VHS to better quality. I have 2 questions:

1. Will switching to one of the JVC or Toshiba DVD recorders (with the VHS filters) recommended here be noticeably better than just using my Philips?

2. The only ones I can find are on eBay and I can only find the Toshiba RD-XS32/34/35 for around $250-300 (even though this website refers to them as "RDR", I can only find "RD"). They are usually somewhat used, does that matter for DVD recorders? Should I invest in one of those?

3. Am I better off spending my money on a top-quality VHS player (i.e. one of the JVC players) instead of a top-quality DVD recorder?

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'm curious what constitutes "noticeably better quality" between the Philips R75 and the Hauppauge card. The R75 was noticeably noisy in its encodes, often adding blocks to video -- especially from VHS sources. What recording mode were you using? XP, maybe? How big is the television that you're using to preview these discs?

Hauppauge products have gotten to be more about recording TV, and less about digitizing video. So I can see where quality may be lackluster. The software alone is enough to drive you crazy sometimes, as the newer versions of WinTV are poorly coded (unstable!) compared to older ones that came on the 150/250/350 generation of PVR cards. Hauppauge is also noticeably soft at time, especially on Half D1 recording resolutions.

1. Yes, absolutely!

2. The Toshiba model number is technically correct as listed on this site, as an "RDR". But it can be mistyped, and the lack of the R makes no difference. If nothing else, it may reduce the number of people that find it on eBay, thus giving you a better than average buy price.

Used does not matter, as long as it was not in a smoking home/office. Cigarettes/marijuana/cigars destroy the optical coatings on the laser assembly, in addition to depositing crap on the electronic boards and power supply fans. Be sure it's from a non-smoking home or office.

Also look on craigslist and on Google. eBay is not the only place to buy used goodies.

3. I'd like to say yes, but the answer is complicated. The biggest issue here is the recorder you have is known to make quality worse. So while the higher end S-VHS VCRs would give you better signal quality, the recorder could still make a bad DVD. But on the other hand, a decent VHS output will look better (and stay that way) on a DVD made from the better DVD recorder.

Ideally, you should replace both the VCR and the DVD recorder, to truly get what I'd consider an archival quality from your tapes.

Another consider may need to be a timebase corrector. Read about those here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...base-2251.html
You may need to look into an external TBC, to provide a clean signal to a DVD recorder at all times.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Free Member

Thanks a LOT for the info. I'm asking my father to count the number of VHS tapes to convert (he also has Super 8/8mm stuff but your website says you don't convert those) and I'll contact you via the form to figure out if it makes more sense to just send them to you to convert with top notch hardware or buy the hardware myself and do them.
08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

We can do most common tape formats: VHS, S-VHS, 8mm (Video8), Hi8, Mini DV
For S-VHS and VHS, we also do PAL, SECAM (non-France) and NTSC

Super 8 and 8mm film is referred to another company that specializes in film work.

Thanks.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spup345 View Post
he also has Super 8/8mm stuff but your website says you don't convert those.
Try this facility: thetransferstation.com/
The top shelf.