01-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

Hi digitalfaq forums,

When capturing VHS, I was wondering if there is a recommended audio/video cable make/model, or whether the standard cables that came with my old crappy Kenwood VCR would work just as well as those "name brand" cables.

I'm just trying to sort out what the point would be in having a high-end vcr like the JVC HR-S9911U if the cables mattered.

Also, is S-Video really a detriment to VHS tapes? I know it all depends on the eye of the beholder, but something doesn't sit right with me, even after reading the guide here on digitalfaq.

I'll be using a JVC HR-S9911U vcr with an AIW capture card.

Your help is very appreciated! Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

It is generally preferred to use thicker shielded cables, and preferably gold coated contacts.

Monster is a good brand, though somewhat expensive. There are other options similar to monster, for a lower price. Radio Shack has some nice thick gold cables, for example. Specialty audio/video stores (online or offline) tend to carry some also, from varying brands. Stores like Best Buy and Circuit City carry Monster, but nothing else.

Thin flimsy cables are not suggested. Coaxial cable is especially terrible when using inferior graded wiring. Composite can be, as can s-video, but the differences are not always as extreme as coaxial cable.

I use Monster cables from my VCR to my TBC, and then again from my TBC to my DVD recorder or capture card. Your "main" viewing tv in the house should also be equipped with good wires.

S-video cable separates chroma and luma. Or rather, maintains the separate signals from the tapes. This is the preferred way to transfer video, as it prevents chroma noise that can happen on a composite signal. Chroma noise is when extra color is created in the signal where it should not exist.

COMPOSITE SIGNAL (note the colors added to the B&W image)

S-VIDEO SIGNAL (clean B&W image)

BTW, if you're wondering why it took a few days to respond, it's because the server is being moved to a new location, so the site has been offline a lot.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

That's awesome, thanks! Very big difference between those two stills.

However, I realize that's only a still from a source that probably isn't "worn out" or 'eroded' over time like a VHS source might be.