Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I have several hundred PAL (and some NTSC) VHS tapes which I would like to copy to DVD.

I am looking for a DVD recorder which can record in NTSC and PAL format.
I do not really care about a tuner or hard drive.
The recorder does not need to have a conversion option, I just want to be able to copy from NTSC to NTSC and PAL to PAL.

I read through the digitalFAQ DVD recorder recommendations, but nothing is mentioned about PAL.

There are many DVD recorders offered world-import.com, dvdoverseas, 220-electronics.... are any of these models descent?
Are any of these models comparable to the classic JVC or Toshiba models?

Or can anybody give me a good recommendation?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Dan
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Since you've given no location, I'm assuming you're in USA or Canada...

Such a machine really does not exist. Even many capture cards tend to be tied to either NTSC or PAL specs. The differences in video formats is too great to be processed in the low-budget DVD recorders made for consumers, whether it's converted or switched.

Some early Philips DVD recorders would record PAL from a PAL source, if the machine had all settings placed on PAL. Of course, you would need a PAL TV to see the menus, or anything else going on, as the machine would output PAL signal. Due to that, it was near useless. Early Philips models were also pretty terrible at MPEG-2 encoding/recording quality, with lots of noise and blocks.

Quote:
There are many DVD recorders offered world-import.com, dvdoverseas, 220-electronics.... are any of these models descent?
Are any of these models comparable to the classic JVC or Toshiba models?
No.

And none of those will do what you're requesting, either. The applied hacks are for playback, not recording. Most of the units sold there are overpriced. They buy a DVD player/recorder, apply a hack with a remote or "secret code" as read from a site like videohelp.com, and then double the price to sell to suckers that don't know the codes are free (or that the remotes can be located for $25).

For example, notice that 220-electronics includes a "KDV-5000 Video Converter" (total piece of crap hardware converter, obliterates video quality in the process) for recording "PAL". In other words, it poorly converts the PAL to NTSC, and the machine records a butchered NTSC signal to a NTSC DVD. It's not making a PAL DVD.

Places like that also reveal their complete lack of video understanding by mixing terms like "region free" and "PAL/NTSC" almost interchangeably. However, those are two completely separate topics with zero relation.

Also notice all the disclaimers that mention using these items with a PAL or multi-system TV. In other words, it won't work with your NTSC TV, so it's completely useless.

To capture PAL as PAL, you have to go the computer capture card route. The ATI 600 works well at this, as do the older AGP ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards.

ATI 600: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00138EOH8
ATI Radeons: We have 3 available for $75 each, if interested.

You're pretty much asking for something that does not exist.
And the one item that sort-of exists is old, not easy to use when in PAL mode, not the best quality, and therefore not really suggested as a viable method.

Maybe not the answer you had hoped for, but it's the honest one!

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Free Member

Even though I won't be doing pal, that's a good price so I ordered through your link.
Is there anything we need to know while installing?
I noticed on Amazon some users recommend putting in the install
cd and then plugging in the capture device, turning on capture device and then running the install or something to that effect.
But Since I just ordered, I am in no hurry.
09-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
Even though I won't be doing pal, that's a good price so I ordered through your link.
Is there anything we need to know while installing?
I noticed on Amazon some users recommend putting in the install
cd and then plugging in the capture device, turning on capture device and then running the install or something to that effect.
But Since I just ordered, I am in no hurry.
Install drivers first, plug in device second. Easy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Free Member

Thank you very much, admin. This is really good information!

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I live in the USA. I came over over from Germany, that's why I have all these PAL VHS tapes....

Well, I did lots of capturing with an older ATI AIW card. And also with the Datavideo DAC-100, Pinnacle Movieboard Plus and some cheaper cards. But I was never able to get a descent quality out of it. In addition, it's some much work to capture, edit, recode and author to get it on DVD. Due to the mass of tapes I need to copy, I thought it would be easier to use a DVD recorder....

Would it make sense to buy a pure PAL DVD recorder in Germany and bring it over? I would then make PAL DVDs. I am using a Pioneer DVD player which allows me to watch them on my NTSC TV. Quality is nothing special, but they are just VHS tapes copies after all...

If I would buy a PAL recorder in Europe, what would I have to be looking for? It's hard to tell which machine will do a great job, especially for VHS transfer...

Thanks for all your help,
Dan
09-01-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Would it make sense to buy a pure PAL DVD recorder in Germany and bring it over?
Only if you have a PAL TV to help make the discs. And of course, a power converter so you can simply plug everything in. And hopefully the converter won't add interference noise, as can be common from the cheap ones. See the mess?

The capture card method is easier.

Quote:
I came over over from Germany, that's why I have all these PAL VHS tapes....
I don't live in Europe, never have, but a huge portion of my own VHS tape collection is also PAL videos, especially rare ones. Capture cards are the only thing that work easily, and retains quality.

Quote:
what would I have to be looking for? It's hard to tell which machine will do a great job, especially for VHS transfer.
For VHS>DVD conversions, stick to the same models mentioned for NTSC conversions:
DVD only - JVC DR-M10, DR-M100,
DVD+VHS (don't use VHS half) - DR-MV1, DR-MV5,
DVD+HDD - DR-M300H (PAL only), DR-M30H (mostly PAL, NTSC model was rare)

As well as some LiteOn units for second choices.
There were some other LSI models, PAL only, too. See the LSI gallery: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...t-dvd-238.html
JVC is best, all others are second choices.

Don't recall if Toshiba has models in PAL, don't believe so (Japan, Canada, USA only, so all NTSC)

09-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Free Member

Both JVC DVD recorders are available on German eBay:
JVC DR-M10.... 6 Euros
DR-M100.... 13 Euros

I think I'll get one and try it out.
Which one of these 2 models is better?

Thanks, Dan
09-01-2010, 01:08 AM

Those are nearly identical. I'd pick the DR-M100, if I had to pick one.
For those prices, I'd buy both!

These machines were $300 USD when new. Euro models cost about 25% more.
Nice.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: sesselmarder (09-01-2010)
09-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Free Member

Great help.... thanks a bunch!
I can keep you posted how the PAL machine works... if you are interested.
09-01-2010, 04:05 AM

Yes, definitely interested. Post back when you have your machine, and (hopefully) have some good results to talk about. Would love to hear all about it.

Thanks.

09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Free Member

Oh, one last thing:
You can almost read on any forum that the Canopus ADVC300 would do a great job. Do you agree?
How are the smaller models like the ADVC110 and ADVC55 comparing?

Thanks again,
Dan
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM

No, not at all. Canopus ADVC boxes are plain, dumb, boring, normal quality DV converters. The devices are surrounded by overhyped marketing by Canopus (the makers) and illogical obsessive love of the product by owners (think Mac). You'd be better off with pretty much anything else.

The 300 model has overly aggressive filtering, with many owners simply having to turn it off for better quality.

You'll find the DV format talked about quite a bit on this site, with emphasis on the Canopus boxes. Claims to TBC functionality have also been discussed in the past.

Feel free to search the forum for past conversations: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/search.php
Just type in "Canopus ADVC" and see what pops up.