Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Free Member

hi, i am wanting to record my lp collection to cd. i wanted to get any info about this. here are ideas i have had for doing this since i don't have a standalone cd recorder: connect my stereo to my standalone dvd recorder and record my lps to dvd (of course audio only). or i thought maybe i could connect my stereo to the computer via a dazzler or hp dvd writer and only connect the audio cables and the burn cds with my cd burner. would this work? please let me know what you think i should do. should i just purchase a standalone cd recorder or what? any and all input appreciated. thanks stoogedog
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I have a male-to-male stereo jack, and go from turntable headphone out to the soundcard in. In Windows, I have the audio recording set to LINE IN, and for the playback settings, all but WAVE and LINE IN are muted. I open SoundForge, tell it to make a new recording at stereo 44.1Hz, and then hit record. Then I hit play on the turntable, and the music is recorded. I then run it through SoundForge or Goldwave to remove any noise that may exist (clicking, popping, hissing, etc).

Works well. I've transferred many LPs and cassettes. I've been doing audio transfer work since about 1995 or so.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Free Member

hi LS, thanks for the reply. can you tell me more about soundforge and goldwave? are they free programs, where do you get them, etc? as always any and all info is greatly appreciated. thanks
08-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

You'll have to e-mail me, for the answers to those question.

08-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Free Member

hi LS, will do. also what what cleaning method do you use? i have been using just a dishwasher brush and water. i am considering maybe getting one of those lp cleaning machines? does anyone here use one or know of someone who does? lmk. as always any info appreciated. thanks
08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

A horse hair brush (about $5 at the art store) and a can of compressed air. I do the same thing to clean action figures. Just be sure to not spray liquid from the air can, and hold it back a bit if it's a new can that blows strong.

I have an LP cleaning machines from the 1980s and it was worthless from the day we bought it. I tossed it in the trash about a year ago.

For something nasty on the disc, that is not simple dust, I have no idea. I have a couple records in that condition too, so I'd search google.

I can say your method of a dishbrush and water sounds awfully abusive to the vinyl. I would not do it.

08-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Free Member

hi LS, thanks for the info. it's not a dishbrush like you srub dishes with. it is a round fine smooth brush made by a company called discwasher. you put a fine layer of water on the brush and then as record turns on turnatable, you lay the brush down on the record and gentle hold it against the record as it turns. if you have something like heavy dirt on a record, then put it in a pan (use a pan the it will lay flat in) of a mixture of water and liquid soap. be sure the soap you use doesn't contain any oils, etc. let the record soak for awhile. you may have to adjutate the solution to get the dirt to release from the record. after soaking awhile, you might want to try using the can of compressed air. then of course let the record dry. you might need to follow this process several times if the dirt is thick in the record. the label might come off of the center if it is paper, but at least you might be able to play the record. thanks stoogedog