Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Greetings!

The adventure beings, sadly with a non-tape-playing VCR. I'm hoping this will be an easy fix (or easy-ish), and the unit doesn't have much invested in it anyway (lucky find locally, so was a bargin).

The unit is a JVC HR-S6800U.

What works: I am able to see the blue screen (CH 3 JVC) and access the on screen menu.

What Doesn't Work: Anything related to the tape! Well, not anything, as it accepts a tape in and attempts to play it, I managed to watch the FBI warning on one tape with not so pretty static/junk at the top edge.

What generally happens, the tape attempts to play, approximately 5 or 6 seconds, the unit them stops the playing and promptly shuts off. The same happens with fast forward and reverse.

The tape ejects just fine.

The unit turns on and sits happily at the blue screen after these events.

Any advice? Easy fix? trash it?

Thanks as always, appreciate the help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Free Member

Update!

Had a poke around inside, found something interesting...

picture1.jpg

Wrapped around this:

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

picture3.jpg

In this photo, I'm curious if that pin to the right of the white spindle thing is supposed to be angled like that?

I'm imagining this rogue label was most likely my problem. Anything else I should check out while I have the thing opened up? I notice some white residue that doesn't seem like a layer of dust on the PCB, which is a little concern. Can't really pin it as corrosion, not sure what to think about it.

06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Yes, it is properly angled all weird that way.

If you really need to know why, I know it's in this book: VCR Troubleshooting & Repair, Third Edition. If you have a future in tinkering with VCRs and analog video, it's worth buying. It's complex, but can help you understand why myths like "tape fade" are baloney (proved impossible, with basic science and understanding about how tapes actually record video). Something to consider adding to your collection, even if it is "just" a book. Definitely not an easy read, at least as hard as any college text book.

White residue? Is it mold?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Free Member

I don't think so, regarding the mold. What I'll do is try to get a decent picture of it tonight and post it up. I'm thinking a little 90% + rubbing alcohol and some Q-tips will let me clean it up.

Would you advise against removing the screws and taking a look at the other side of the PCB to see the condition that is in? I come from a computer background where I make use of compressed air to blow out dust and other debris from computer cases. Should I NOT the same to the insides of this machine while I have it open? (My concern is there are more moving parts in the VCR that perhaps compressed air could cause issues).

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll look around for that sometime. Have no qualms about trying to fix something myself and spending the time to learn it and understand it. (this is good and bad, of course!). But a couple of 99 cent junkers off Ebay will let me play around and get familiar.

Thanks again Admin, and everyone else.
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedoch View Post
I don't think so, regarding the mold. What I'll do is try to get a decent picture of it tonight and post it up.
And here they are, the mystery white substance. Quality is crap (sorry), but hopefully this gives you an idea. These pictures are of the worst area, which is the back right corner. The white crude only appears on part of the PCB towards the back (I see no signs of it else where.)

Managed to lift that board up and check the other side of it, no white blemish like that pictured. Also no signs of it appearing elsewhere in the machine. So it is isolated to this section.

picture4.jpeg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

picture5.jpeg

Last edited by Kedoch; 06-01-2011 at 11:17 PM.
06-02-2011, 01:29 AM

That looks like mold. Not the fuzzy kind you'd see on a loaf of bread, but still mold. I have mold just like that growing under the mulch at my house. It's native to the area. I have to spray fungicides about twice per year to kill it off.

If it's mold, then that would mean this VCR has been store in a moist climate, possibly an attic or garage. And if that's the case, then the belts and plastics may be rubbery and "off" in some way.

Alcohol and non-cotton swabs (NOT Q-TIPS!) would be suggested for clean-up.

And if there's mold visible, there's mold that's invisible -- too tiny to see with human "naked" eye. So you may need/want to scrub most of the deck out, including the heads. You don't want mold spores to attack each tape you stick into the deck. That would be, to be quite blunt about it, absolute hell on your videos.

Personally, I'd consider it a lost cause, if it's a moldy VCR. You can easily have the white substance analyzed by a science teacher at any educational level -- junior high through college. Or at a nursery. Or by an allergy doctor. They'll all know mold quite readily, or at least should.

From an OSHA stance, it's not even safe for humans to be around mold. Just FYI.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: Kedoch (06-03-2011)
06-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Free Member

Ouch! Guess this one might be the junker I learn on by taking it all apart (with a mask and gloves). Thanks again Admin, appreciate the heads up.
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Free Member

Should have asked this above, but follow up question:

If I get confirmation that this is mold, should I junk the tapes that I attempted to play in the VCR? (the tapes were 25 cents each). Tapes attempted to play but due to the debris pictured above failed to play anything on screen for more than a second or two (before the unit powered down). So the tape was exposed, just not sure if that is a huge concern. (Don't want to contaminate other tapes, or other VCRs)
06-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Sometimes the questions on this site are like celebrity deaths -- they come in pairs/trios!

Take a look at a related question on this very topic: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...me-videos.html
You don't want to put a moldy tape in a good VCR, period.

Of course, if the only contact is potential due to head contact (where the tape was clean, and the VCR not), and the tape is rare or hard to replace, then simply look at cleaning the tape. It will be a tedious process, and you could damage the tape, but it's better than outright 100% loss of the tape. A soft cloth or chamois, and slowly wiping down the tape. Maybe even replacing the clamshell -- or at least wiping it down thoroughly.

I don't envy your situation.

06-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Free Member

Thanks Admin, it's a bad situation for sure, but at least the tapes are junk (Local store sells VHS tapes for $.25 to $1.00, so cheap and no worry about throwing them out.

Thanks again, appreciate the advice regarding this situation.
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

That looks a lot like mildew or water damage on that VCR. It was exposed to some serious moisture sometime in its life, best to junk the machine if it isn't anything special.