Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Free Member

Hello all,

I've been using a Toshiba RD-XS35 DVD recorder for many years, and it's been great.

However, this week, I've noticed an odd phenomenon. On certain scenes, the video picture becomes extremely low-quality, blurry, and pixelated--even if the encoding bit rate is set very high (7.0+). Then after a minute or two, the quality snaps back to normal. This is not apparent when the transfer is taking place--only on playback. And it does not happen all the time; maybe a two-minute segment within 90 minutes of video. (Just enough to be annoying!)

When I ran the VOB through BitRate Checker, the bit rate line "flatlines" during these segments--it does not drop to the bottom of the graph, but just becomes a very abnormal straight line. Also, the quality line shoots up off the chart. The section looks quite different from the regular lines in a Toshiba-produced VOB (which normally bob up and down in a VBR pattern).

A few notes: The pixelated segment of video almost always happens following a brief period of unrecorded tape (snow). So it's as if the snow is possibly confusing the encoder. (I am running VHS-C tapes from a Panny AG-1980 through a Datavideo TBC.) And when the quality returns to normal, it's always on a jump cut.

Although I have replaced the DVD drives in Toshiba recorders, I'm stymied as to how to fix this particular problem. So that's why I'm here. This phenomenon is probably not unique to Toshiba HDD recorders and maybe what's happening is explainable in plain old tech/computer terms.

I have already unplugged and replugged it (which often fixes random problems with these units). But that didn't do the trick. So my next step is to reformat the hard drive, which I've never done with this unit. I just question whether or not a hard drive with bad sectors is the problem here. Would that really cause the encoder to screw up the bit rate and create a pixelated picture? (I don't know, maybe it would.

Your insight is most appreciated. Thank you!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
On certain scenes, the video picture becomes extremely low-quality, blurry, and pixelated--even if the encoding bit rate is set very high (7.0+). Then after a minute or two, the quality snaps back to normal.
I've seen this happen on other DVD recorders and capture cards when the device was overheating; specifically the capture chipset. How often do you run this unit, and how long has it been in service? It could be one of several things:

(1) The heatsink on the mainboard encoder chipset needs to be re-seated, because the old thermal grease/tape has turned to powder.
(2) The heatsink never had grease/tape, and some environmental change cause a slight shift that no longer makes perfect contact. Not having grease/tape is a lousy design, but it happens.
(3) There is no heatsink on the capture chipset, and it simply overheats more and more as time goes by, meaning it's been damaging itself for years with heat abuse. This is also very common, the result of cheapness (and stupidity) on the part of device manufacturers. This is why so many devices are "throwaway now", and this is how a device can have an expected shelf life (after so many hours of use, a component will simply give).

I don't believe this has anything to do with the hard drive.

There's actually a whole list of possible issues, from blown caps and fuses inside the unit, to under voltage by the power supply, to the suspected hard drive. But what you describe is a processing error -- not data rate (hard drive), not power related (unless it's specific power to the chipset that caused it to semi-hibernate).

Snow should actually increase processing, not reduce it, because it's near-pure noise. So if that was indeed a triggering factor, that points more to a processing error (and potentially a power-related error, to the processor).

I know we have these conversations in private a lot -- fixing equipment sucks. For somebody like you and me, it's even more damning, because we know how to fix the easy things. It's these complex problems that can waste so much time. And that's not even counting time required to find an answer.

Quote:
I have already unplugged and replugged it
You REALLY need to be careful with this.

I'm sure you know this already, but it's worth the mention to anybody else that does not. Unplugging a lot of modern electronics, even when turned "off", can be as bad as unplugging it while it's turned on. These devices are never truly "off", and are often referred to as "energy vampires" for that reason. The Toshiba is a more serious offender, because the fans are always running, and the unit is always processing for TV programming guide updates -- even if you don't use it for TV recording. When you yank the plug, you always take the risk that the capacitors or other circuits will fry out, the same as an electrical surge. Because when you really get down to it, that's what you're doing -- manually creating electrical surges! I know, it seems insane, but that's what's happening. I have a damaged Panasonic AG-1980 because of this, and I damaged a Panasonic DMR-ES10 recorder years ago for the same reason. I also believe my dead JVC HR-S3800 was a victim of unplugging/re-plugging.

Excellent quality recorder, these Toshiba XS35 HDD units, but not without their imperfections.

The fan is the only reason I passed on those recorders. It always seemed like a fire hazard to have a component run 24/7/365, whether I wanted it to or not. And then the only way to force it off was to kill power entirely, meaning risk of damage at each use.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.