09-02-2018, 06:56 AM
Free Member

Is there any interest in compiling a list of decent cameras that can be used for capture/pass thru? Hi 8, Digital 8, 8mm cassettes? Some cameras are better than others, and some it seems have a TBC, so a list like the VCR list might be very helpful. I have a Sony TRV-25, but it's rather plain, and I can run it through my TBC or ES-15, so internal TBC is not necessary, but a list or preferred models is what I'm looking for.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Having a list of preferred higher-end Video8, Hi8, and Digital8 camcorders would be very helpful! Previously I was using a Sony CCD-TR28 with an ES-15. This setup worked for a while, but really wasn't great for archival purposes because that model only has mono audio and composite video out. Two months ago I was lucky to find a working Sony CCD-TRV66 at a rummage sale for only $10! This is a huge upgrade from the CCD-TR28 considering the CCD-TRV66 has internal TBC, S-Video out, and stereo audio. The CCD-TRV66 is also compatible with modern Sony NP-F style batteries which is a plus if you don't have the camera's original power adapter. Also if you're like me and want to record analog video for aesthetic reasons you'll have no problem bring that camera on the go.

As far as TBCs are concerned, it's my understanding that you should be using a playback device with integrated line level TBC along side a stand-alone frame level TBC such as the Datavideo TBC-1000 or the green AVT-8710.
09-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm actually working on it, with some help from NJRoadfan. Just not ready yet. Almost.

Internal camera TBC is different from external, different functions. The camera still needs TBC, it is not immaterial. If anything, the external TBC would be more sacrificial (but dropped frames will be an issue).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-03-2018, 06:02 AM
Free Member

Quick question that is kinda related.
I know that the TBC setting of those recommended Camcorders is important and should be turned on, but is it also recommended to use the DNR functions of those cams?
I am doing some first test captures with my new AIW 9000 Pro setup right now and I am not sure if I should use this DNR function or not.. I wouldnt mind doing it in avisynth later if you guys say it will yield better results.
PS: If this is considered offtopic please delete it and i will open a new thread, cheers
09-03-2018, 11:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSmurf View Post
I'm actually working on it, with some help from NJRoadfan. Just not ready yet. Almost.
Nice! There's been a bunch of posts about that so a list would be really useful. I'll be happy to provide some input as a PAL user if I can be of any help. I remember seeing a spreadsheet floating around from the germans as well that listed various capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMedia View Post
Two months ago I was lucky to find a working Sony CCD-TRV66 at a rummage sale for only $10! .
Nice! That's the model we currently use here as well, got 2 of them mainly because that was what I managed to get my hands of after our DCR-TRV330 broke, but they work well. I think most D8/Hi8 cameras that came with the desired line TBC function use the same power adapter, at least from my 1998? CCD-TR840E, and to the late (last one released?) DCR-TRV480.

Quote:
but is it also recommended to use the DNR functions of those cams?
On the ones I've tried, the DNR seems to barely do anything, so I don't know if it matters.
09-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
On the ones I've tried, the DNR seems to barely do anything, so I don't know if it matters.
Thanks for the quick reply. For my inexperienced eye it felt the same.. I will leave it on in that case.. Doesn't seem to be agressive (like the es10 dnr) or anything like that.

Are you tweaking any other settings for best possible playback results or are you just moving down the slider to playpack mode, press play and start recording like me (tbc and dnr are on by default for me)?
09-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Free Member

As far as I know there aren't any other relevant settings, there is an EDIT option, but I don't think it does anything to the image.

I have noticed though that the TBC sometimes takes a second or to to "kick in", which results in the image jumping for a frame or two. It seems to sometimes help to start and rewind back and play again to avoid it if there is something important on the tape, but I'm not sure if it works consistently.
09-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
As far as I know there aren't any other relevant settings, there is an EDIT option, but I don't think it does anything to the image.

I have noticed though that the TBC sometimes takes a second or to to "kick in", which results in the image jumping for a frame or two. It seems to sometimes help to start and rewind back and play again to avoid it if there is something important on the tape, but I'm not sure if it works consistently.
Ok good to know I didn't capture with inferior camcorder settings! But I will have a look in my handbook if i can find anything about edit mode..
Hmm good catch, I have to rewatch my first few captures to see if I also have this little error, but usually the first few frames of our tapes are not so important anyway.
09-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
but is it also recommended to use the DNR functions of those cams?
Built-in DNR can be hit or miss, and may even be optimized for use with tape recorded with the same device. It will depend on what is on the tape, and what the DNR in the player actually does. Try both ways and see which gives the better results with the tape you are working on. If you have the time compare the DNR results with what you can achieve using only external noise reduction methods.

Tags
cameras, capture, tbc