01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Free Member

But I have just borrowed a friends Pioneer DVD recorder and what do you know, it works

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes, those Pioneer DVD recorder chipsets were pretty decent, on some models.
Which one do you have, specifically?

I may have some further usage advice on good/bad recording modes, etc. (Unless you think you already have it tackled.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Yes, those Pioneer DVD recorder chipsets were pretty decent, on some models.
Which one do you have, specifically?

I may have some further usage advice on good/bad recording modes, etc. (Unless you think you already have it tackled.)
I have the Pioneer DVR-560HX, I would really appreciate some advice on the best possible setup Thank you.
01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hmm.... I just don't remember that model off-hand.

What you mostly want to watch out for is the stupid change made during a generation switch around 2006. For whatever dumb reason, Pioneer decided to switch to 720x480 for all resolutions, which is really quite nasty beyond two hours. Run a recorded test discs into GSpot, and verify the resolution. The earlier "classic" models from 2004-2005 properly jumped down to Half D1 352x480 when bitrate became a bit sparse (3+ hours recording modes). Some of them had custom recording modes ("MN" mode), too.

Gspot download: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-analysis.html

Pioneer almost exclusively used a unique Renesas video chipset -- something not used by any other DVD recorder manufacturer -- and resulted in a pretty decent MPEG encode. It did not remove any chroma noise, like the LSI chipsets did, but it would retain color and detail fairly well. In that arena, of the non-NR chipsets, it was only beat out by Zoran chipsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer website circa 2004
The DVR-510H-S and DVR-310-S come with the industry's first 1-chip recorder engine, a revolutionary development from Pioneer in cooperation with a leading device manufacturer, Renesas Technology Corporation.

Are you in UK? See full spec sheet here: http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/ar...X-K/index.html
Manuals here: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/support/ma...X-S/index.html

I've also attached the English manual here:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pioneer DVR-560HX-S DVD Recorder User Manual.pdf (13.68 MB, 42 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs