Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Free Member

Hey guys, I'm new here so howdy... I'm beginning a big family video conversion project and I was wondering if you can take a look at some test footage I captured and give me your 2 cents...

I recently spent over $300 for a JVC HR-9800U, thinking I was getting the creme de la creme, but I may have to reconsider that after seeing this test footage of a less-than-pristine condition tape. My old sony gliches much less. It's component input only, and from what i can see the colors are more neutral on the sony. I have both hooked into an ati aiw card in a p4 3ghz pc with fresh windows xp install and the virtualdub provided here on the forums. Capture setup should be solid...

What do you guys think? Should I try to get my money's back on this thing? And what other hardware would fix some of those glitches, or is that information lost forever in the analog abyss?

Also check out the delay after a minute of video... not sure which is in better time.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2gqh...ature=youtu.be

_______

Edit: Disregard.

Asked why output from my jvc looked crappier than my consumer sony unit. Then i saw the digital tbc button was not lit - pressed it and DOH!!! OMGG AMAZING QUALITY. Yeah, sorry guys for being a moron.

Btw - I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself. I'm new here and this forum has been a great resource so far. I'm just starting out on a big family video conversion project. Bought myself a JVC HR-S9800U and ATI AIW card for a dedicated capture rig. Doing it right the first time. BTW - is there any other hardware that may give me an even better signal?

Thanks guys for creating this awesome forum and I'm very happy to be a part of it!

Last edited by bmw5002; 08-01-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Free Member

an inline TBC would be advisable
TBC-1000 or AVT-8710
08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Free Member

TBC-1000(TBC-100) is a frame synchronizer. If there are no frame-drops caused by an unstable source, TBC-1000(TBC-100) is not needed.
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Free Member

Read LS's post on TBC's then decide for yourself if you need one:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html
08-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Free Member

Right, i did have some frame drops while capturing. See here for the amazing difference between a standard sony consumer unit and my shiny new jvc. You guys obviously know the capabilities of the equipment, but I'm just astounded and wanted to share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1YtiWf0Byk

Attached Files
File Type: flv VCR Comparison - Sony SLV-779HF vs JVC HR-S9800U.flv (9.96 MB, 16 downloads)
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5002 View Post
Btw - I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself. I'm new here and this forum has been a great resource so far. I'm just starting out on a big family video conversion project. Bought myself a JVC HR-S9800U and ATI AIW card for a dedicated capture rig. Doing it right the first time. BTW - is there any other hardware that may give me an even better signal? Thanks guys for creating this awesome forum and I'm very happy to be a part of it!
Welcome.

You made an excellent start with a 9800 and ATI All In Wonder card.

As far as "more hardware", the only item you're missing is a quality TBC -- be it a TBC-100, TBC-1000, CTB-100, or AVT-8710.
Read the full guide on TBCs (for videotape transfer) here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

If you have any color problems, you can look into proc amps (color processor/amplifiers), like the SignVideo PA-100 or Elite Video BVP-4. If you don't want to spend a few hundred on that, then you can try to survive with only software color corrections, using Adobe Premiere, Avisynth, VirtualDub, vReveal, and similar tools.

Note that you can embed Youtube videos with the [youtube] bbode tags.

Your last sample image was so good that I attached the FLV to your post. Nice comparison!

Also please don't delete posts within the editing window -- just add to it, or correct it, when needed. Otherwise it totally disrupts the conversation. I've restored your initial post. Others can learn from your mistakes. (Trust me, I've posted quite a few of my own here in past years!)

If you have any other questions, just ask -- and in new threads, when changing topics.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs