07-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

I just read a reply by KPmedia referring to "some AIW cards would have a Shielding Error" and when I saw the word "herring bone pattern" I almost fell over!!I bought a 9600xt through amazon last year and went through heck eliminating a similar pattern due to electrical interference during capture.After putting ferrite coils on all of the input and output cables,and making sure my other computer is turned off,I'm getting noise-free?? captures,But now I'm wondering if I wound up with one of those cards! How do I check it??
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
This was documented on videohelp.com many years ago:

Quote:
There are two RF chokes right under the tuner. On the back side of the board was the Theater 200 chip, where all the magic happens. Well the RF chokes are doing what those are supposed to do, but the cores being magnetic were passing a large spur of crappy RF into the Theater 200.

The fix -- THIS IS NOT EASY AND IT IS!! USE YOUR JUDGEMENT HERE PLEASE!! YOU CAN BRAKE THE PARTS!! DON'T GO CRYING TO ME IF YOU DO!!

I unsoldered one lead from each coil, just the wire not the mounting pad. The two leads where the coils are closest to each other. Not by the chips with the heat sinks on top of them. I heated the base of the coils to brake down the glue that held them there. The coils will pop free from the plastic base that are underneath them. That base should stay right there.

Now with the card in front of you component side up, card pins pointing toward you. The coil on the right, turn it to the right 90 degrees. The one on the left turn it 90 degrees to the left. Now both should be hanging just above the chips with the heatsinks.

Now add a small bit of wire from each coil back to where those where connected before. DONE!!

My card works perfect for capture. The tuner I have a feeling that this should take out the noise there too (but untested). I can't say this will work in all the cases I have read about this card. For me this fix made this good card Great!

Please be aware that not all the ATI AIW 9700 Pro are the same.
If you look at your card and its not the same as I instructed DON'T DO IT!!! If you CANNOT see how easy this fix is DON'T DO IT!!!
-

ATIAIW-noise-coils.jpg

... edited for grammar, style, and made the photo better.

Original thread at http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/1...ld-look-too%29

I still have an old bookmark for it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (07-21-2012)
07-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Premium Member

I have been using an AIW 9600XT Card,So now my question is if the "shielding" problem was exlusive only to the above referenced 9700 series cards???(Oh I do hope so!!),or if the above mentioned Fix could be for any AIW xxxx series cards with the Theater 200 chipset? (So far,So good with my captures, since I installed ferrite cores around ALL associated S-Video Cables and ATI in/out block cables!)..Including the S-Video Cables From VHS Player-to-AVTOOLBOX-to Capture PC

-- merged --

Admin please respond to above post
07-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The problem existed on 9600 cards, too.
The 9000 series of ATI All In Wonder cards were all essentially the same, though components varied over time (both in-model, and between models).

If you don't see any problems on your own card(s), then I wouldn't worry about it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (07-25-2012)
08-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

lordsmurf or kpmedia ...I had to add RFI eliminating coils to the breakout cables and stuff to get rid of those dreaded "Herring-bone" patterns during Captures!!!(Documented in my posts earlier this year Titled "WAVY LINES DURING CAPTURE" That's why I was wondering if I wound up with one of those Cards with Shielding Problems???(Maybe why I got a good deal last year on the card at amazon in the first place???)...He was a 5 star dealer with good referals!....but all considered,the captures finally look pretty damn good!!!!

Last edited by rocko; 08-15-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: forgot something/add something