Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading it a lot in the past few weeks - trying to learn the best workflow for what I want to do.
Basically I have a lot of VHS footage that I would like to digitalize/archive in the best possible quality. I've been reading this forum, trying to draw on your expertise, and even found myself buying a new VCR (Panasonic NV-HS1000EG - with TBC!) thanks to the fantastic guides on this very forum! I feel I've learned a lt I also landed on HuffYuv as a codec (lossless, and space is no issue), and already owned a Decklink Studio card I figured would be suitable for capturing. I have previously used this card for capturing from Betacam (via SDI), and Hi8. Now I'm hoping you can help me overcome this problem I have when trying to capture VHS footage;

The problem I'm experiencing is this that when I capture in VirtualDub (or Blackmagic Media Express for that matter), the video has occasional loud audio "pops", with a corresponding black frame. Virtualdub does not list it as 'dropped frame', but I'm sure you video-experts have a better word for it? Is this a known issue, and what exactly could be causing it? Is it my audio-connection, the Decklink card, my S-video cable or Virtualdub? It has happened on multiple tapes, and happens approx once or twice a minute, which is annoying. I will try to post a sample later on.

Here is a link to a connection diagram for my Decklink Studio card; http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/medi...linkstudio.png

My setup is like this;
VIDEO: Panasonic NV-HS1000 VCR -> S-VIDEO cable -> Decklink Studio card, wire#22 (S-Video in)

AUDIO: Panasonic NV-HS1000 VCR -> RCA white+red cables -> 2x 1/4'' Male Phone Plug to Female RCA Phono Jack -> Decklink Studio breakout cable , wire #14+#15 (Audio analogue In 1+2)

For some reason I also connected my external video monitor TM-910SU to the wire#21 (Composite Out) for reference when capturing. Not sure if there is anything to be gained (or lost?) by doing this, but I figured it gives me a better idea of the quality of the videotapes I'm capturing, as analogue video looks very different on my computer monitor, than a TV or video monitor.

As there is a significant audio click/pop, I figured it might be worth switching to cables that are RCA to Phono (no plug) natively, but I'm guessing this isn't whats causing the drop?

If anyone sees any other obvious flaws in this setup, please let me know! I'm fairly new to this, so it might be something really basic I'm overlooking. I would prefer some help before I start buying additional gear, or changing cables, as it really does my head in. I'm really hoping to find a solution that doesn't mean I have to go back to using a DVD-recorder for transferring the footage, as I see a lot of advantages in terms of restoring

Best regards!
Joakim
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Free Member

You cannot capture VHS to Decklink directly without problems. VHS signal is too dirty. You need Framesync/TBC in-between (no, inbuilt TBC in your HS1000 is not a same thing).
11-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much for clearing this up, junko. I will now start saving up for a TBC as well. Hopefully that will do the trick, and I can start doing some actual capturing.

Could anyone recommend me a TBC that would be good for my use?

Best regards,
Joakim
11-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Free Member

TBC's have been covered here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html