01-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Free Member

Been posting for setup help at http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...-help-evaluate. Through the replies, just starting to learn "what to look for" in my tests.

Right now, my 550 using CMC seems to be giving the best results when I look at the samples all done using the same VCR. Notice much higher bit rate there with MediaInfo: 17.3; the 650 and the same CMC show 8.480; the AIW using mmc 9.02, VBR, Rate Max 9, Target 8 shows 8.480.

Is it worthwhile to try a higher bit rate for the AIW? From other posts, have the "more isn't always better" mindset. But this kind of makes me wonder. Kind of had the impression that, for VHS/Hi8, the AIW Radeon 32 would be preferred over the 550 & 650.

Sure wish I could find some other software for the 550/650. Choice of Best/Better/... is a bummer.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-25-2014, 02:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
To be honest, VHS doesn't start to be transparent to the tape (lacking most all artifacts) until you get into the 15mbps range -- Blu-ray spec MPEG-2, not DVD (which had a max of 9.8 to 10.08, depending on the audio).

ATI CMC has a manual bitrate setting -- you don't have to use that good/better/best, and I don't suggest it at all. You can set ATI CMC to capture up to 15mbps, like ATI MMC. In fact, ATI AIW cards tend to encode M{EG better, as the cards are hardware-assisted encoding, whereas the ATI 600 is software only encode (though made only for those ATI 600/650 chipsets).

I know this is an older post, but I'm curious where you're at with all this. At the time, I just wasn't well enough to participate much online yet. I glanced at the VH post, but it's lnog-winded, and meanders a bit over numerous subjects.

FYI: sanlyn is a valued member of this site. So he's here, if you want his input again.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs