11-15-2020, 10:03 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I've been reading a lot to master my analog capture setup and the only thing I'm missing is a TBC. I've searched locally and luckily it appears to be a Leitch DPS 470 available near me. I'm honestly not considering buying one of those expensive TBCs. My budget is low and my quality needs aren't the most, but a good TBC would be good to have. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've seen most of the recommended TBCs on here output SVideo, this Leitch DPS 470 outputs SVideo through a DB-15F high-density connector and I'm having trouble finding a cable that will have an SVideo output, most of the ones I've seen output RCA or BNC. If anyone knows what cable I could use to output SVideo or if anyone knows a better way to output the video I would be grateful. Thanks! I'll leave an Imgur link for pictures of the Leitch DPS 470.

https://imgur.com/a/jDEiHk9
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-16-2020, 02:19 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Rack-mount broadcast TBCs do not expect consumer sources like VHS, and will often fail with it. Those were made for broadcast sources, in racks with other broadcast gear, 20-30 years ago.

That's why those are pennies on the dollar ($100 or less, MSRPs were $1k+)

Most "cheap" TBCs were sub-$1k (15-20 years ago, before inflation), made for consumer sources. Those are still useful, still in demand, and best units are currently in the $1.5k range (more or less, depends on model, condition, limitations).

Remember: buy it, use it, resell it. Thinking in those terms, it's not really that costly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-16-2020, 08:59 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the answer! Oh, I see Honestly, I can't afford those consumer TBCs and I thought I had found a cheaper alternative. I guess there's no cheaper alternative. Oh well, since money is a constraint I'll have to settle with whatever I have. Might try to get an ATI USB card from eBay whenever I can find one.
11-16-2020, 09:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereirafch View Post
Thanks for the answer! Oh, I see Honestly, I can't afford those consumer TBCs and I thought I had found a cheaper alternative. I guess there's no cheaper alternative. Oh well, since money is a constraint I'll have to settle with whatever I have.
The alternative is the TBC(ish), where you use DVK+ES10/15. You can also try the ES10/15 alone, but the fail rate increases.

11-16-2020, 09:45 AM
Free Member

Thank you! I had not read about that setup. I'll try to go for that.

Is there any preference between the ES10 or ES15?

Also, is it risky to buy an energized DVK of eBay? or are these reliable units.
11-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

DVK often needs slight modifications to work with capturing, and I also lockdown settings on units that I have in the marketplace. Then it will function more like a (weak) TBC-1000, and less like a wacky green screen device. Sometimes you have to unsolder the fan, which is a main issue. eBay isn't overly reliable for some gear, DVK included.

No real preference between ES10 and ES15. Just find an auction with a clean unit, complete with remote and power cord. You must have the remote.

And I send you a PM.

Actual TBCs are always better, and all shortcuts have quality hits and fail rates. But this is far better than nothing at all, decent budget setup.

Tags
dps 470, leitch, tbc