Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Free Member

Hello All, I am getting good captures when I have good source. The resulting mpeg2 file is around 2 gigs on disk but when I import the file into the dvd authorware it indicates the file as being twice the size. I am capturing using the settings advised on the capture guides Lordsmurf has on his website. Am I missing something? Also it seems that the authorware in question transcodes the video when it is already in mpeg2 dvd format, that seems odd as well. Software in question is Roxio EZ dvd/cd creator.. (Perhaps the culprit).

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Roxio is burning software only. Anything else (like authoring, capturing, etc) is horrible. You need real authoring software. Something like this:

Sonic DVDit! (www.sonic.com or www.dvdit.com)
Pegasys TMPGENC DVD Author (www.pegasys-inc.com)
Sonic ReelDVD (www.sonic.com)
Mediachance DVD-LAB (www.mediachance.com)
Ulead DVD Workshop (www.ulead.com)
Adobe Encore (www.adobe.com)

TMPGENC is cheapest.
I prefer DVDit! for most of my work.

Roxio is wanting to re-encode you video to what it THINKS it should be. This is HORRIBLE. These other programs will use your files as is, unless they are not compliant with DVD format (see the various capture guides for compliant DVD specs). If you're following one of my ATI capture guides, then you'll have DVD-ready MPEG material.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-10-2004, 05:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Roxio is burning software only. Anything else (like authoring, capturing, etc) is horrible. You need real authoring software.
I thought that might be the case, thanks LS or Lord or whatever you want to be referred to as
06-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Darn, too bad there is not a trial version for DVDit!
06-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnyhead
Darn, too bad there is not a trial version for DVDit!
Yeah, that's really a shame too. It's quite nice. I'm really happy with version 5 that came out a week or so ago. Bought the upgrade. Motion menus, multi VTS, fast AC3 encoder, the works (except subs and dual audio).

On the other hand, Adobe has FINALLY put up a demo of Encore. I noticed that the other day.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!