Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Free Member

I have a JVC HM-DH40000U VCR, I know the recommended settings for capturing video is:

V.Calibration OFF
Picture Control EDIT
Digital R3 OFF
Video Stabilizer OFF

I want to know why it's recommended to keep V.Calibration disabled even in Edit mode? What problems can V.Calibration cause with it turned On?

-- merged --

No reply yet?? Ok I'm going to ask this in a different way...

By disabling V.Calibration, isn't this the same as turning off Auto Tracking?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Calibration doesn't do what you think it does. The name is a poor description of the actual function. It tries to auto-sense the tracking, beyond what normal tracking does.

Auto-tracking responds to errors when found.
Calibration tries to use a crystal ball, and avoid tracking errors before they occur.

Calibration = OFF = recording/playing straight line
Calibration = ON = wiggling about, trying to find "best" tracking, but in practice does poorly at it

For recording, this thing is horrible. It makes the whole tape untrackable.
For playback, it rarely works. More often than not, it cause vertical (layman) jitter, because it will hit the tracking boundary.

Don't use it unless it is shown to help, which will be less than 1% of the time.

It's somewhat useless, like R3 sharpening.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: starport2 (10-03-2016)