Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Hi everyone, it's been a while.
I'm at the point where I'm thinking of giving the PC a rest for video capture. My old setup is wearing out, it's time to move on. So I'm considering finally making the jump to a PC-free Uncompressed solution via the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. I've been on the fence about it due to cost and potential complications, but if it works it will be well worth it. So without further ado -

As anyone who is familiar with the device should know, it is Mac-centric. The SSD I would use therefore is a Blackmagic-certified Digistor preformatted in exFAT, which negates the need for 3rd party s/w for Win compatibility.

The issue however is the Hyperdeck Shuttle's fixed recording specs for SD, which are:
Uncompressed 10-bit UYVY 4:2:2 with 8 audio channels in MOV container (Rec 601).
These settings cannot be changed, and the files will be huge (over 100GB per hour). So for archiving, my question is what method should I use for efficiently converting to HuffYUV 8-bit 2 channel AVI? Any issues I should be aware of?

Lastly, for anyone who has had experience with this device, are there any issues with capturing I should also be aware of (via HDMI)?
Thanks and hope to hear from you guys.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-De...cd9ff68b3fd47e

I just would not do it.

100gb/hour is a waste, and I don't trust Blackmagic to make good hardware anymore. They're the modern version of Dazzle. They made 1-2 good things, and then it was a complete crapfest afterwards.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Free Member

Deja vu.

I don't know the best method for dropping 10-bit -> 8-bit. In my 2013 screenshot thread on VideoHelp, I think I showed the result on a test pattern using two different workflows to convert. I would think it would be as simple as just removing the two LSBs, which should be 00 anyway, but it seems not.

Probably a simple cross-platform ffmpeg script could repackage the MOV into AVI while dropping the empty audio channels.

I still have my Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, though I really wanna sell it since I haven't touched the damn thing in perhaps 3 years. I barely used it in the first place.

For me, Blackmagic's customer support for this product was non-existent. And in the case of my communications with them regarding the Intensity Pro 4K, they were responsive but ultimately completely useless and a waste of my time.

So I'd like to suggest that if you do buy one, purchase it used. The company doesn't deserve your hard-earned money.

Not sure what else to add. For capturing HDMI, the product does work fine according to my (limited) usage.