02-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Free Member

Hi,

So I have decided to try and transfer my old vhs-tapes to computer.

In usling the following: VCR (Radionette RN-100) which har a scart connection I use with a scart to rca + S-video-adapter, Redgo Video Capture-usb2.0 device, and a pc. For software Im trying both the included program and Virtual Dub.

Now to the issue: i experience this jumpy picture while watching and recording. The jumping sometimes stops when i pause the tape and then press play.

The vcr works fine when watching the same tapes on tv, therefor theres no issue with the vcr nor the tapes.

I have managed once to record 1 hour of a tape, then the jumping starts again.

The issue looks like this: https://youtu.be/ZYxUBqJBMqM

What could be the cause of this problem?

Would really appreciate your help

Thanks /Felix
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
This is all expected behavior. You have timing errors.

I need to write a guide called "How NOT to Transfer VHS to computer".
Unfortunately, you're doing it wrong. And it's not your fault -- you've been lie to by companies marking cheapo doodads to convert VHS.

There's probably nothing wrong with the capture device (even if it isn't a good one).
Understand that VHS was a chaotic signal, and TVs expected this chaos. But you must tame that chaos when converting to digital. What you're seeing is the raw signal. That's what your VHS tape actually looks like.

You have
- consumer VHS VCR
- no TBC
- cheap capture card

What you need is:
- prosumer/professional S-VHS VCR with internal line TBC
- external framesync TBC
- recommended capture card

That's why so many people have issues, or simply assume VHS is bad quality (and make themselves really lousy conversions).

You're at the right site to learn about all this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the answer!

How much money is this going to cost me? (If Im just interested in getting a decent copy of my vhs-tapes) Om not obsessed with getting top quality stuff, I just wanna save my old tapes thats all.

If Im to solve this in any other cheaper way, what would you recommend? I have heard of these vhs-to-dvd in one that you can just burn it straight over using just one device.
02-11-2018, 07:19 AM
Free Member

VHS to DVD players/burners are not loved here due to quality issues. There is a list of recommended S-VHS units here:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html
My setup is a JVC S7800U>ES15>TBC-1000>Hauppage USB stick for capture. The entire workflow plus good cables, ran me about $900. I have a second JVC S5912U (no TBC) just as a backup. I think this is probably considered a "bare bones" setup here but is still more than most folks have, and could be where you are heading, good luck on finding quality units.
02-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Free Member

So the clip shows timing errors, what does that mean? I see that the picture is jumpy but why?
Thanks!

Unfortunately its a djungle, I live in Sweden and many sellers on ebay dont ship there.
02-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

I've shipped stuff to Sweden before, and I'm not even in Europe.

But above all else, you need a PAL S-VHS VCR with TBC, and that's something I don't have available. Mine isn't for sale, had to import it from Germany, via UK, 15 years ago.

The next-best fix is your current VCR -- or maybe a better one, even if not S-VHS with TBC, even low-end SVHS -- and then use the Panasonic DMR-ES10 or 15 DVD recorder as passthrough. Not perfect, but better than your current setup.

S-VHS VCRs = $200-300
Panasonic recorder = $75-150

Thankfully eBay isn't as bad in Europe. Not as much junk.

02-12-2018, 03:07 PM
Free Member

Whats your opinion on the Panasonic NV-HS950? Just found one on ebay.
02-13-2018, 12:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

If in truly good shape, that VCR is on the suggested list: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

02-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Free Member

Do I really need a external framesync TBC and if so, why?

-- merged --

So Im looking for a vcr from elsewhere, could you offer the following: DataVideo TBC-1000 external full-frame framesync TBC
- USB capture stick?

-- merged --

I have a possibilty to buy a panasonic NV-HS960, but the seller has a player and a recordee, which one would I buy?