10-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Free Member

I've read....EVERYHTING and I'm _ONLY_ having a hard time with finding a TBC right now. Everything else is "out there" or available. The models listed in the help/FAQ sections are disappearing. There's also the confusion on at least a certain model (hint: green = good, black = bad). Seriously, finding a TBC suggested on this site isn't easy right now for me. Not all suggested models I can find exactly, but I can find a suggested alternative...except in the TBC category.

BIG THANKS to whoever are responsible for this site. If I found this site as is in 2002'ish, I wouldn't of been storming the Doom9 forums. From 2002 to about 2007 I captured cartoons for my son via a satellite box, about 4,000 hours worth. Sadly (or happily) for about 12 years I haven't captured a single thing, not once. He's all grown up now. No more Power Ranger, Teen Titan, Kim Possible, etc... captures. No more countless hours fighting decomb, sync, shifting, CCE questionable matrices, Huffyuv dropping every other frame, bugged recursive LUA scripts or anything else has happened in my life :-).

I'm back :-(, but I hope not for long. I have a slew of S-VHS-C tapes to capture and now the platform has changed. Satellite was simple, VHS looks much more costly and unquestionably takes hardware. That's O.K., it will be a few months until I get the money together and it appears some things are now cheaper than they once were. Right now I just have a PC and a MSI TV@Anywhere Satellite Pro (the word "Satellite" is important, it's the word that beats the other 20+ capture cards I have, even the other TV@Anywhere's).

Anyways. even if I had the money right now to buy everything, I just couldn't buy a standalone TBC as it appears they have all but vanished. I see a couple "For Parts" on e-bay or some that are $700+ dollars, but as for the suggested ones that are under $700 I just can't find one.

Again though, thank you to everyone that put the nuts and bolts all in one spot here. I think if you never have captured anything analog before and just found this place today, you wouldn't have any idea how helpful this site is. With today's CPU powers and drive speeds, I can imagine those not finding the information here anywhere, and worse, not finding this info and just carrying on to only *think* you have it working correctly (similar to bad bt8xx VFW driver bugs from long ago). I guess I feel like EVERYONE else does that has found this site, I feel no one appreciates what you all have done more than ME! You've just have done that great of a job!!!

Last edited by paples; 10-06-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
eBay is self-torture. No good comes of it, in most cases. Very often, the "tested" and "working" items are not as claimed.

You may be interested in this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...te-budget.html

Do you have any cartoon captures left? I'm a long-time toon collector.
Many things are released, easy to find, but some are still unreleased.

I established this site back in Dec 2002.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Free Member

"Do you have any cartoon captures left? I'm a long-time toon collector. "

Dude...LOL... Lord... I'm just going to say uncertainly... _NO_. Honestly, I have a slew of DVD-5's, CD"s and even 20gb/40gb hdd's in storage... but... but... you're asking an insane task for me to even dive into that mess with little hope of success. I'm laughing even thinking about tackling that quest :-). That aside, I will ask my son if he remembers what I may of done with them, and by "done", I mean as in what color the discs and drives where :-). Although with him being in college right now, I'm more pressed to even say "hello" to him, that too apparently is an insane quest :-).

I questioned a cartoon and comic collector that worked at Radioshack once why anyone would collect broadcasted cartoons when you could have the DVD. He said that in some cases certain things are different about the broadcasted version versus the DVD release. I paid attention to that, and I kid you not, I found 1 single difference myself. It was the simple introduction of Teen Titans. There were 2 versions of the Japanese introduction that were broadcasted, only 1 made any DVD release regardless of region. I bought the entire Japanese import of that initial series to find out. It was the only difference I ever found, but I thought it was neat :-).

Anyways, I will attempt at least a "side eye" when I'm in storage next. I was into it very heavily (had 3 sat. boxes and a IRC bot setup for people to login schedule caps for themselves, I was proud of that back then), so some things might pop out at me when looking around.
10-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Free Member

I second LordSmurfs ES10 advice, this DVR has also component video out, if you still want to spend money... i can recommend the BlackMagic Design Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt2) i use this one with an "old" macBook Pro, I can switch the component video output on my ES35 to progressive, which gives me 720x576p50 captured.
The ES35 gives a stable enough video output for the Intensity Shuttle, never have had one dropped frame, caputures from the s-video output are foggy, compared to the component video output of this recorder, the component is de-interlaced by the the ES35/ES10, and is sharp, with allmost no artifacts other than halo at sharp edges, which would be blur when captured over s-video, component gives a better image in general, to my taste, and less work in post.
The driver of the Intensity Shuttle let you adjust the image color/brightness, this you only have to do once.
A disadvantage of older capture devices is, that these are mostly supported by older hardware pc's and their old OS,
while you do need more cpu and graphics power.
A disadvantage of the BlackMagic Design hardware is, that it's mostly designed for Mac hardware/software, their Intensity Shuttle USB3 capture device, will only work with a specific range of (windows OS) motherboards/USB3 chip sets, which they have listed on their website.
To seach for a good VCR or DVR is maybe easier then to find an external TBC, i did not searched for a external TBC, because i dont have the knowledge to choose one that could help me.
It helps also to have multiple VCR's or DVR's this wil help in some cases with the different kind of content, like with bright and contrast rich content, or other kinds of content, a VCR that gives too much artifacts, could be a better one for other tapes with diiferent content, my guess is some have a higher video output level, or have electrical components of different quality or are aged.

here are some of my VHS captures, i guess youtube did some degrading to them, these are raw captures, only changed the resolution sometimes.

https://youtu.be/3L-jcX-ZJBo
https://youtu.be/acE9e3AbgH0
https://youtu.be/tQSuiAJT3rE
https://youtu.be/WN1w6ByHEow
https://youtu.be/QVh0ZHj5FnI

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 10-07-2018 at 06:35 PM.
10-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paples View Post
I questioned a cartoon and comic collector that worked at Radioshack once why anyone would collect broadcasted cartoons when you could have the DVD. He said that in some cases certain things are different about the broadcasted version versus the DVD release. I paid attention to that, and I kid you not, I found 1 single difference myself. It was the simple introduction of Teen Titans. There were 2 versions of the Japanese introduction that were broadcasted, only 1 made any DVD release regardless of region. I bought the entire Japanese import of that initial series to find out. It was the only difference I ever found, but I thought it was neat
I have that Titans episode. In fact, I believe they did more than 1 intro on first run (but not in syndication/re-runs, nor released). When I authored my own DVD set, I looped several intro songs, similar to how I did my The Simpsons from the 2000s.

This also assumes a toon was ever released. Some still are not.

But, for the most part, you are correct. Shows from the 2000s-2010s are mostly available, and the same as the broadcast. It's when you get into 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, and theatrical 40-50s, that changes exist. The most common issue is censorship, or music rights. Quite a few had masters damaged or trashed, as was the case with He-Man.

Quote:
Anyways, I will attempt at least a "side eye" when I'm in storage next.
Thanks.

Anyway ... when you're ready for a TBC, contact me. I may a unit available for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs