01-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Free Member

I apologize for the quick question as I am sure the answer may be in the Driver thread (unfortunately ran out of time to search for the night), I need to ask a few things:

For the AIW 9600 256MB AGP card I recently got, the drivers listed in the thread should work for this card correct? Would I need to install the pieces of the software one-by-one (display driver, capture driver and the Cataylist)? I also read about the Directx9c but I think that was included with SP2 version of XP, right, or would I need to install that as well?

And having the AIW 8500DV card, I am not certain which of the drivers in the thread are the proper ones for this particular card. I had the driver disc when I got the card a few years back but unfortunately got misplaced with all the moving I had been doing in the past few years.

I am going to be doing new, fresh XP SP2 installs of both my capture boxes so that I can get everything done from the get-go, get them up and running and stable.

Thanks for the help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2016, 06:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I've been using the driver package "5-13_xp-2k_dd_29124" and ATI MMC 8.8 (with DAO 8.1) a lot lately. You can try that first.

If a newer DirectX is needed, the installer will tell you. Same for .NET packages.

I have a lot of the ATI install discs, all of them ripped as ISO. A few members here have submitted more for my collection. Most are on the server, just not (yet) organized and linked to the site.

The 9600 installed MMC 8.8, but I forget which driver. Because none of the discs listed the card it came with, all of my discs got mixed up over time.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-04-2016, 06:50 AM
Free Member

Thanks LS, and also for redoing the title....sometimes I don't always get the title quite right in phrasing the question.

I looked at the 9600 card in more detail and looks like I have the 2006 edition of the 9600 AIW card, part 109-A22500-00. I wanted to try to get the correct versions of the installer to use so that I can make a permanent copy to store on my server for future use.

I'll have a look at your package when I get home from work later today (yeah.....back to work..lol).

-- merged --

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I've been using the driver package "5-13_xp-2k_dd_29124" and ATI MMC 8.8 (with DAO 8.1) a lot lately. You can try that first.

If a newer DirectX is needed, the installer will tell you. Same for .NET packages.

I have a lot of the ATI install discs, all of them ripped as ISO. A few members here have submitted more for my collection. Most are on the server, just not (yet) organized and linked to the site.

The 9600 installed MMC 8.8, but I forget which driver. Because none of the discs listed the card it came with, all of my discs got mixed up over time.
Alright, it looks like I finally have a winner here. I see why dealing with the ATI drivers is such a headache. I was determined though to figure it out and wiped my drive as many time as necessary until I got it right.

I downloaded this installer "9-7_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu" for the 8500DV. I discovered however when I did the fresh install of XP SP2 that the display driver for the card was already installed, according to the Device Manager. I also saw that the AIW WDM drivers under the 'Sound, Game and Video Controllers' were installed as well from the OS install so it seems that the drivers were already on the OS disc. The only thing I installed was the ATI MMC 8.8 from the 9000 series CD installer which installed the remaining components. I didn't have to mess with installing the annoying .NET Framework nor the DAO.

After that, it was just the matter of installing the drivers for the TB card which was all the easy stuff. Loaded up VirtualDub and did a short test capture with the AG-DS840. Captured perfectly with no dropped frames!

So that finally solves the mystery with the 8500DV....apparently I really didn't have to install the display drivers after all, nor the Catalyst control. Just the MMC 8.8.

When I get home tomorrow from work, gonna wipe it all once more and do it fresh and should be able to get it all going this time. Then I can finally focus on the other capture box that has the AIW 9600 2006 Special Edition card. Should be easier with the 9000 installer disc (I hope!)

I read that the 8.8 version of the MMC had the Videosoap feature to help clean up the video after capturing it....how is that accessed?
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: Superiorem (03-28-2020)
01-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Site Staff | Video

Sometimes XP finds drivers for some cards. I've never figured out which cards do this, as it's not repeatable. Hopefully your wipe and redo still gives you the auto driver install!

And sometimes the installed drivers don't work well, and need to be replaced by an ATI package. Again, I've had a hard time figuring this out, as it's not repeatable. I've installed probably 100 ATI cards, so we're not talking confusion from a limited experience. It just makes no sense.

VideoSoap is shown when you setup the capture settings.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: VideoTechMan (01-05-2016)
01-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Free Member

When I do the reinstall later today I will take a screen shot of it and post it here. The last few times I did the install the auto drivers for the card seemed consistent each time I checked the Device Manager. If that's the case then it will save me some time in having to hunt the drivers down, though having backup is always a good plan for those just-in-case moments.

-- merged --

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Sometimes XP finds drivers for some cards. I've never figured out which cards do this, as it's not repeatable. Hopefully your wipe and redo still gives you the auto driver install!

And sometimes the installed drivers don't work well, and need to be replaced by an ATI package. Again, I've had a hard time figuring this out, as it's not repeatable. I've installed probably 100 ATI cards, so we're not talking confusion from a limited experience. It just makes no sense.

VideoSoap is shown when you setup the capture settings.
Okay, just finished the reformat and indeed the drivers did auto install for the 8500DV. See pic below:

[/url]

As shown the ATI drivers are listed with the M$ next to it. So with that done I went ahead and installed the AIW MMC 8.8, and it went without a hitch. I noticed that when I checked the Device Manager again, it looked that the ATI WDM drivers installed over the M$ versions but the primary display adapter remained the same. Installed VD, then the HuffyYUV codec and sure enough, it captured with no dropped frames.

I will eventually have to do a longer capture session just to ensure the audio and video will remain in sync. Don't remember if the 8500 has an internal audio connector but if it does I have several of the 4-pin cables I can use to interface with the TB card for an internal connection.

Now I can FINALLY get the second capture box squared away, then afterward install the KVM for the two machines. With the second box, I am installing XP onto an 64GB SSD that I saved from another build...should make it a bit more spiffy for running programs!

After all this I will need to make a clean image of both these systems so I don't have to do all this over in case anything happens!

-- merged --

Alright, I'm starting to get frustrated with the 9600 card in my primary capture box.

Booted it up earlier tonight and got the annoying yellow marks in Device Manager next to the WDM drivers and the TV portion, with the annoying Code 10. This is supposed to be my primary capture box; my secondary and third box (only for backup/used in another setup) so far is working fine and stable.

The AIW card I got in the primary box is the AIW 9600 2006 Special Edition. The motherboard is the Intel D875PBZ which has the AGP 8x slot. Even after another fresh install I still get the yellow marks. Makes me want to just trash this card and get something else.

I think what I will do is get a 9000 based card or perhaps an older one. If I get a 9000 card, I have to see if the purple dongle that came with the 9600 will work on the 9000 card.

For this system to be my primary box it needs to run stable without any issues. Its housed in the Antec 302 case which is quite nice I may add.

LS, you used the 9000 I believe in your setup, it had ran stable, correct? Then its the matter of wading the driver maze to get the correct drivers for the 9000.

-- merged --

Ok, looks like I have a winner.

I bought a 9000 AIW card from the ebay and got it in today (seller was in Houston so quick delivery). Installed it and installed XP again from scratch. Good news, all the AIW drivers installed with no issue and no more yellow marks by the WDM drivers.

The card now installed is the 9000 4x AGP 64MB card. The one I had was the 9600 2006 Edition card. It looks like the latter isn't fully compatible with the system, even though the board supports 8x AGP cards. Plus another thing I noticed was that I got all the usable RAM of 3.5GB whereas before it was 2.47GB.

Just glad that this is finally resolved; obviously some of the 9600 cards has issues with certain systems. I will hold on to it though since it still works well for a display card.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-18-2018)
10-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Free Member

I have same issues with aiw 2006 agp edition(9600 series), yellows marks and code 10 on wdm devices(tuner,audio,video,audio cross bar), i found one topic and guy say same problem and he say if they uninstall card from device manager(right click on card and unisntall) and after that cards works, i try the same and really works, and i think this is a driver error, but a have 2 windows here with this card installed on same hd, i try this trick on first and works but turn off and no work, and try same trick on other windows and card works again, so a think if this a driver error, i go to another windows and will not work, but is work, so definly is hardware problem.

Not lose at all, know this a hardware problem is good, now a i can try ajust card on agp slot on several times to fit then right,i clean card contacts,a clean agp slot with air and a paper+credit card, but, a notice this card not fit well on my cabinet, i see some parte of gold contacts is visible so I see the metal plate(mirror?) is litle bigger and card fit more in the back, so i try first cut a litle this metal to fit better with a dremel, and is helping card fit better, but is not enought , so I remove this metal from card(2 screws on top, 2 screws on 15pin and a litle thing on rf) and without this metal i can fit perfect and yelow marks gone(only tv tuner stay useless anyway in this days), and is gone late of sunday , and i not have more time for tests, so i really don't know if problems is really solved,but i see the light.

So i think this explain why they works on some system and others no, is need a fine adjust on agp slot and card or cabinet are bad size projected and can't make a perfect fit.

I hope this post help more people that have this problem with this card.

Sorry about my english is not my native language.
The following users thank akumaevil for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-18-2018)
10-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

I've also had issues with AGP seating properly, as well as dirty contacts. Not something I think of very often, when troubleshooting ATI AIW card installs.

Good job finding the culprit to your issues!

Maybe your post will help others as well.