Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-27-2019, 04:01 PM
Free Member

Hey there, I shoot comedy videos and I have a question about multi-camera setups. I am not live streaming, everything will be shot and then edited later. I want to know how I can connect my cameras and external microphones to all start recording at the same exact time and stop at the same time. Is there a way I can do this by connecting it to the computer or maybe an external interface? I'm lost here.

I have two Sony A6500 and one A6000.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2019, 04:42 PM
Free Member

Although it’s not the answer you seek, most any NLE can sync A/V with a keystroke. I suggest you focus more on...focus, exposure, lighting, etc.
03-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
Although it’s not the answer you seek, most any NLE can sync A/V with a keystroke. I suggest you focus more on...focus, exposure, lighting, etc.
What does NLE stand for
03-28-2019, 04:23 AM
Free Member

NLE, non-linear editor, pretty much refers to any video editing software on a computer. At the risk of getting pummeled by other members...I use Powerdirector and I can sync A/V files both in the timelines, or also in a module that is specifically designed to work with multiple cameras and a soundtrack.
03-28-2019, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

The old fashioned method of using a clapper board before every shot usually does the trick. You can align the segments to the "clap" in the NLE and lock them in place. The pros still use it as a backup reference in addition to SMTPE timecode (a "master clock" signal that gets recorded alongside all the video and audio feeds for later synchronization).
03-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Free Member

The goal is to edit a multi-camera shoot to a single video with a unified audio track. The options abound.

As noted above NLEs can do the sync in post. All you need is some common, event in the video, such as a clapper board, flash or rim shot, or other clear short duration event in each video to visually sync them up. Some NLEs support multi camera editing - you can see all synced cameras (three in your case) playing on one screen and click on the one you want to edit quickly. More sophisticated systems will provide house sync and time to all cameras, but that sounds a bit beyond your needs.

If it is all in one venue, you can start/stop the camcorders at the same time using a remote control provided they can be set to recognize it. There are also wireless systems available for extending the range of camcorder and VCR IR remote controls. This should give start/stop accurate to within a frame or so.

A couple examples follow (but I have not used them nor have I used your cameras).
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Remo...a-566982835846

https://www.mycablemart.com/store/ca...yABEgIHKPD_BwE

You need the "good" sound on one camcorder. It can be used as the master audio track in your edit. Ambient sound is OK on the others because you can select you sound you use in the NLE. Some folks will record the "house" sound system to a portable recorder such as a TASCAM DR-40, not to the camcorder, for sync later in the NLE. This can save managing/running cables and give better sound. Any you can use wireless mic systems to get audio to distant camcorders as well, but that requires appropriate selection of gear to allow one transmitter to feed multiple receivers, and coordination with the venue to avoid any conflict with wireless gear they might be using.
03-28-2019, 03:13 PM
Free Member

Oh man would I like just one to get a feed from the house. That being said, placement of the intended dedicated audio is crucial and some rooms/spaces have terrible acoustics.
03-28-2019, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Some folks have been known to set a wireless mic next to a loud speaker as a way to get house audio (plus a bit of ambient sound) without connecting to the board.
03-30-2019, 03:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taziamoma View Post
Hey there, I shoot comedy videos and I have a question about multi-camera setups. I am not live streaming, everything will be shot and then edited later. I want to know how I can connect my cameras and external microphones to all start recording at the same exact time and stop at the same time. Is there a way I can do this by connecting it to the computer or maybe an external interface? I'm lost here.

I have two Sony A6500 and one A6000.
The thing you want can be done with professional camera's with SDI connections, HDMI output has lag because it converts to digital in a slow way, with pro camera's you can "mix" live with the pro equipment needed for this job.

Or you can use sync devices with your existing camera's and audio recording, like from Tentacle Sync, this comes down to that you record the sync signal on one channel (left or right) of the audio/track (MIC) input of the cameras, and also on the external audio recording device, in post the NLE with the Tentacle plugin, will sync all recorded media from the cameras and audio recorder(s)
This is a solution if you do not have broadcast equipment, and if your budget allows to.

example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36XYOPp0BE

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 03-30-2019 at 03:49 AM.